Preset recording with TV card and hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reachable

My Windows 7 computer goes rather quickly into S3 (I think) hibernation. I'm thinking of getting a TV tuner card and recording programs and setting the record times in advance. Will the computer be able to come out of S3 to do the recording, or will I have to disable or change the sleep mode? Also, would it make a difference if I recorded to an external hard drive connected to USB as opposed to the IDE boot drive?

Thanks.

Is this a laptop or desktop computer? A desktop computer should never be set to sleep. I can watch full length movies on both my laptop and my desktop computers with out any trouble. With a TV tuner, disable any sleep or hibernation modes set

1) If a computer is in "hibernation" only manual intervention will take it out sleep mode

2) If a computer is in "stand by", it can be woken up either manually or by a data packet sent to its network card

In either case, the TV tuner card can't wake it up

If you want to use a USB drive suggest you see [post=753513]How to Avoid Problems with USB Storage Devices[/post]. If you connect the drive directly to the computer (i.e. not through a hub) i'd guess it should be OK, but best you test and verify for yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back