Previous Trojan, still there? Steps done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have XP Home, Screens freeze up, or wont allow me to scroll down. Programs stop responding, Portions of old screen will still show up on new screen opened. Sections of screen 'jitter'. Dont use System Restore. Regularily (daily) do Disk Cleanup and Defrag. When try to run Avast Antivirus it takes forever to run, way longer than it used to and and now it freezes. Had to run CCleaner twice before I could get it to work. Did all the 8 steps, Avast worked fine, no viruses or problems found, next day, it is back to hardly working. ??? Any ideas. A while ago had a trojan in Mozilla (also use Thunderbird) in Application Data - User Profile. I removed Mozilla and manually deleted the User Profile files. Did that do the trick?? Or is the trojan somehow still there?? Am under the impression Avast has antispyware protection, am I wrong here?? If so, what do you recommend?? Any other ideas, appreciate any help here, really dont know what I am doing.... Cheers, Emma

Your PC seems pretty clean to me. When did the problems start? "Screen jittering" and "portions of old screen showing up" makes me 90% sure that it's a driver problem if the PC is new. Is your PC new? If you just installed the OS, make sure you have the latest drivers for your motherboard and graphics card.

Also a side-question: is the Stand By option disabled? If that's the case, I'm 99,99% sure your drivers got screwed up (or if it's a new PC, that you haven't installed them yet).

Thx for your quick reply, ThexDarksider. Problems just started, dont remember doing anything unusual...but no PC is so not new....ongoing problem with Lacie DVD RW WriteMaster wont work, does not recognize that a disk in it so wont play, it did work for a while then it quit, Roxio/Lacie upgrades have not helped...other than that, no issues... Have not upgraded drivers other than "let computer find one" type of mode, dont know how to do it other wise....have been a victim of identity theft twice so will not use a credit card online and wouldnt know who to use for that anyways as there are so many sites out there who swear they are the ones to use.... Re your Stand By option disabled...where do I find that??

The option to stand by should be there when you go to shut down your PC but before you click "OK" or "Turn Off". There is usually either a yellow "stand by" button or a drop-down box with the option 'stand by' available. If you don't see such an option, your drivers may have gotten corrupted (same happened to me, but in my case whole OS got corrupted somehow). In any case, you should update your drivers and anti-virus software and then have an expert to guide you with Combofix. :p

Also another question: how long do you have that OS installed? It's recommended to reformat the system partition every 6 months to 1 year if possible. But don't do so unless you've done it before and you know how to do so.

Now that I know what you mean, yes the Standby button has always been there....antivirus is updated daily, again I dont know how to update my drivers, suggestions?? Are you a combofix expert?? Think that will do the trick??

Dont have a partition as not a big hard drive but have reinstalled my whole system several times in the past, sigh, looks like I may have to do it again; labor time intensive ugh. Am leaning towards a Mac system next time....am thinking, expensive yes, convenient though....

Appreciate all your words of wisdom!!

Emma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back