Prime Day 2016 sets new record as Amazon's best day ever

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Amazon’s second annual Prime Day is in the books and just as the original did a year ago, the 2016 event set a new record as the biggest day ever for the e-commerce titan.

Amazon on Wednesday revealed that customer orders surpassed Prime Day 2015 by more than 50 percent in the US and more than 60 percent worldwide.

Breaking things down, Amazon said it sold more than 90,000 televisions, hundreds of thousands of Kindle e-readers, more than two million toys and more than a million pairs of shoes yesterday. In the US, Amazon said sales of its branded devices were up 3x compared to last year. Even the Dash Buttons got some love with the most popular brands being Cascade, Charmin and Tide.

Prime Day had a profound effect on many of Amazon’s sellers and small business partners. Elazar Klein, Merchandising Director at Ritz Camera, said their deal for the Nikon D3300 digital camera sold out within the first hour with several others recording their best day of sales ever.

Amazon didn’t say how much they raked in on Tuesday although as Supriya Chaudhury, head of data and insights at retail analytics firm Clavis Insight, told Reuters, sales may have exceeded $650 million.

The publication notes that select analysts were projecting sales upwards of $1 billion although a technical issue that prevented some customers from adding discounted items to their cart may have hampered sales a bit.

Greg Greeley, Vice President of Amazon Prime, said that after yesterday’s results, they’ll definitely be running the promotion again.

Did you purchase anything worthwhile during Amazon Prime Day 2016? If so, let us know what you scored in the comments section below.

Permalink to story.

Kept checking their site off and on throughout the day. Never bought a thing. Of course, there really wasn't anything I was really after though.

Nope. There really weren't any great deals that I saw. Not a single item of the 50+ things on my wishlist were on sale.

Same, and few of the "Upcoming" items I watched had minimum discounts. Didn't see anything worth buying at all.

They listen to the numbers and ignore the consumers. Fantastic.

Only thing I was tempted to buy was a Logitech gamepad. Most other sales were garbage, or mediocre ones that sold out in minutes.

So absolutely none of you had any use whatsoever for buying $50+ in gift cards and getting $10 bonus? I thought that was worth the effort if nothing else.

Bought a lot yesterday. great deals. amazon has been the best e-retailer, and far ahead among the rest. Customer service has been great for me the past 2 years. As long as you dont lie, and feel self-entitlement when talking to customer representatives then good things will happen, And As long you buy from amazon and not from 3rd party sellers you will be fine.

Too bad I did not score the nvidia shield! One of my wishlist.

Found a great deal on a soundbar... then looking at reviews I chose another one that was well priced but not heavily discounted. So I ended up buying something either way, got played somewhat but I'm sure I will be enjoying the sound.

I bought... a pack of 5 pairs of shoelaces (elasticated type). Nothing much else of interest.

Found a great deal on a soundbar... then looking at reviews I chose another one that was well priced but not heavily discounted. So I ended up buying something either way, got played somewhat but I'm sure I will be enjoying the sound.
Was it that Samsung 300W 2.1 (2015) model that went for like $120 down from $200+? Got that one myself and should be at my door within a few hours hopefully.

Back