Problem after installing new videocard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meeks

Just changed my video card from NVidia 5200 (pci) to an NVidia 8500 GT(pci-e). Before doign anything, I updated the driver, atleast ran through everything on the disk that it said to do.

The new card reads everything decently up until the point of windows. I get the basic windows loading screen, after that, the screen goes dark, monitor still seems to be on, and I can hear the windows loading noises. So it's running fine.

Alternatively, I have no onboard video card as its a custom built pc.

And for not being at home, best specs on motherboard, if it is needed:

Winfast NF4SK8AA Motherboard

Any assistance would be fine as I work from home and this is the only means that I have.

So, you selected PCI-E in Bios for video and have made sure all necessary power plugs are plugged on the new vid card?

Would I still see what I see without the power plugs? I didn't see any on the card itself when installing. I'll look online to verify that.

Would I still see what I see without the power plugs? I didn't see any on the card itself when installing. I'll look online to verify that.

I have never seen an 8500 that needs to have a seperate power source. But it would not hurt to look. Did you do what was suggested and change the video adapter in BIOS? Also, is the card a known working card?

After reading about it, I heard nothing but good about it. PNY Nvidia 8500 GT 512mb PCI-e. I'll try getting the old one on the computer to work, but if not, I'll end up bashing my head through a wall trying to get this fixed lol.

After talking to PNY support, I've found out that theres some sort of corruption in a needed file.

Next question(s):
I don't have a windows XP disk readily available, yet may have one from there. Guessing I boot the computer from CD and try to repair windows?

If I have a Vista reinstallation DVD from another computer, would that allow for installation of Vista?

Any responses would be nice.

CCT:

Proof of purchase is the thing that I don't have. Though a legitimate version of XP.

Do you think that a fresh install of Vista would be possible? The disc is from a new computer that I got at work, and would purchase the key at a later time. Being a reinstallation DVD, I'm not sure on how that would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back