Problem switching on CPU

Hi, I have a current issue with my Acer Aspire M7720 desktop running on W7.

This problem started last saturday. When I pressed the power button, it doesn't respond. Only after much going through the process of plugging and unplugging all the usb and power supply, together with much spamming of the power button, then it would switch on. Anyone can help me cause I don't think this is a good way of trying to switch on my computer.
Thanks

Can you explain what happens when you press the power button please? Do you get any lights appear, can you hear the computer doing anything?

It sounds like it could be a faulty power switch, but need more information to confirm.

Can you explain what happens when you press the power button please? Do you get any lights appear, can you hear the computer doing anything?

It sounds like it could be a faulty power switch, but need more information to confirm.

Nothing happens when i press the power switch. But my usb connected to the cpu is still being powered.

I'd try another power supply if you have access to one. Could still be a faulting PSU even though USB is getting power, have seen this before.

You could also try taking off the front panel of the case and trying the black plastic power switch and see if this works. Also most cases you can swap the reset/power switches on the motherboard and then of course, use the reset button to power the system - can't remember the last time I did this but a customer had a fiddly switch so this was the workaround (Old Pc).

Hopefully this is helpful.

hi cupidincoke,
first welcome to TS.

Could you list exactly what is plugged into your USB ports - it might be trying to boot from the USB for some reason. so it could be worth checking your boot sequece.

The lights on the USB - do they only come on when the power button is pressed?

James

hi cupidincoke,
first welcome to TS.

Could you list exactly what is plugged into your USB ports - it might be trying to boot from the USB for some reason. so it could be worth checking your boot sequece.

The lights on the USB - do they only come on when the power button is pressed?

James

Ok i only have two things plugged in, 1) Mouse 2) Keyboard.

The lights from the usb is powered even before the power button is pressed, i think it comes from the main switch

The lights from the usb is powered even before the power button is pressed,

This means that there is power flowing through the mobo.

What you could do is identify where the power switch is plugged into on the mobo and unplug it. Obviously ensure that the main PSU cable is unplugged etc.
Once you have done this plug the main pus cable in turn PSU on and then using a flat head screwdriver and gently "connect" the two pins where the Power switch plug was plugged in.

If everything is ok then the PC should boot normally. If it does then its a problem with your power switch. If it doesnt then if could be an issue with your board.

hope this helps
James

Back