Problem with hard drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyv01

Ok well to first start off I was complaining about my E8400 not being stable at 4.0GHz...I don't think that's the case now because I get the freezes with everything at stock as well.

Ill explain what kind of freeze it is, basically my WHOLE PC freezes up, I can't move my mouse and all my sounds stop (if I'm listening to music/playing a game). The freeze only lasts 3-5 seconds then it unfreezes, I then can go back to what I was doing.

I did have this freezing issue also with my EX38-DS4...I replaced it because I thought it was a motherboard issue. When I received my EP45-UD3P the freezing stopped. But starting from last week the problem has came back...the freezing.

So what could this be? To be honest..could it be one of my harddrives playing up? I just got my 1TB WD Cavier Black today...im gona give it a try soon.

The current harddrives im using are:

Cavier Green 750GB (Storing games/music/videos)
Cavier Blue 160GB (OS Harddrive)
Samsung 250GB (Storing install files for apps/pictures/and other stuff)

Now I use to run my harddrives on ACHI mode instead of IDE mode in BIOS, it use to work fine. Now when I go to put ACHI mode back on i get a BSOD...when I put it back to IDE it boots fine. Ever since I started getting the bluescreen that's when the freezing has started (I think).

I checked my system event log and there are errors on the same times where I get the freezes, the errors are The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort3, did not respond within the timeout period. The source is atapi

So, whats going on? This problem is driving me insane!

I've had a similar "timeout period" problem awhile back; I think it had something to do with a buggy driver for the controller on the board. Try installing a generic driver to the device and see if that stops the freezing.

yup, quite annoying

I see. At least I know where its coming from. Well I have the latest chipset drivers, I even tried a different BIOS and still got a bluescreen when trying AHCI mode (think thats it). If its just 1 harddrive doing it should I just unplug 1 harddrive at a time and see if I can boot into windows with AHCI mode? Also on the western digital diagnostics program it shows my samsung harddrive as a IDE and the rest as SATA O.o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back