Problem with Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 on Win XP

GSteve

My son, who lives in a distant city, had trouble with his computer and brought it to me for repairs. After replacing the graphics card and doing a fresh install of Windows XP Home SP3 and Microsoft Office Pro 2010 on a new hard drive, I purchased and installed Kaspersky Internet Security 2013. Everything seemed to be okay, and so I set it aside waiting for him to come and get it, and I only start it up after (I see on my own computer that) windows or java or flash player updates have been issued. After installing the latest Windows updates on my own computer, I fired his computer up and to install updates. I found that the 'Updates Available' icon had not come up on his machine, and when I went to manually check for/install Windows Updates, I couldn't get past the Microsoft screen that says 'Checking if your computer has the latest version of Windows updating software for use with this website...' I did some checking and found that Kaspersky IS is blocking the update operation and causing Internet Explorer to become non-responsive. If I pause Kaspersky protection from the right click menu or disable protection on General Settings and try again, the browser goes quickly to the update website, checks for the proper software, and proceeds to list any updates available. Disabling only the firewall portion of Kaspersky from the settings menu makes no difference.
I've asked Kaspersky support for assistance but have had no response. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it. I have six retail licenses for this product and am beginning to wonder if I made a mistake in buying them.

Are you running another Antivirus program other than Kaspersky? Also just a note, usually software like this is bloatware and is kind of a rip off unless you are positive it is what you need. I recommend Avast free or AVG free. I would recommend MSE, but it is still being improved to compete with the bigger companies after being failed in a certification.

Disabling the Firewall should of helped, maybe go to control panel (pardon me because I haven't used Windows XP in a few years), and find Firewall settings, disable Windows firewall and fire up Kasperskys'.

Are you running another Antivirus program other than Kaspersky? Also just a note, usually software like this is bloatware and is kind of a rip off unless you are positive it is what you need. I recommend Avast free or AVG free. I would recommend MSE, but it is still being improved to compete with the bigger companies after being failed in a certification.

Thanks. I have Malwarebytes free version installed, but the free version does not have active protection and so is not supposed to interfere with active antimalware. In fact, Kaspersky checked for incompatible software during the installation process and reported none. I'm using Kaspersky because it is one of only four products that passed recent tests for on-line banking and shopping protection. (AVAST was one of the four but not the free version). MSE flunked recent tests and lost its certification according to reports on Techspot and elsewhere.

Disabling the Firewall should of helped, maybe go to control panel (pardon me because I haven't used Windows XP in a few years), and find Firewall settings, disable Windows firewall and fire up Kasperskys'.

Thanks. Windows firewall is disabled and Kaspersky's firewall is enabled (normally). Disabling Kaspersky's firewall makes no difference in not being able to access Windows Updates - the only thing that makes a difference is to disable general protection.

So long as the machines that the other licences were used on are performing well it's not much to worry about. It's already been mentioned that freeware security like Avira is more than adequate for general usage. Remove Kaspersy from the problem computer and install something else. I scrapped the second six months of my subscription for a paid for AV suite when it clearly didn't suit my computer. I initially installed MSE but swapped over to Avira because Microsoft seems to have slipped in assessment tests. They'll soon put that right though. If you think that you need more look at reviews of the various free firewalls rather than relying on the default Windows one. Again, you may need to try out a couple to find what you like.

So long as the machines that the other licences were used on are performing well it's not much to worry about. It's already been mentioned that freeware security like Avira is more than adequate for general usage. Remove Kaspersy from the problem computer and install something else. I scrapped the second six months of my subscription for a paid for AV suite when it clearly didn't suit my computer. I initially installed MSE but swapped over to Avira because Microsoft seems to have slipped in assessment tests. They'll soon put that right though. If you think that you need more look at reviews of the various free firewalls rather than relying on the default Windows one. Again, you may need to try out a couple to find what you like.
I didnt care about the tests, I just stuck with MSE, I am just cautious now about what comes in and out

GSteve: Go to Kaspersky setting then move to advanced setting(I.e 4th tab)...then go to network and on right side u will see SELECT under monitored ports. On clicking select you wil see a list of marked SMTPs, HTTPS, etc...UNMARK all the HTTP's and ur problem wil be solved....

GSteve: Go to Kaspersky setting then move to advanced setting(I.e 4th tab)...then go to network and on right side u will see SELECT under monitored ports. On clicking select you wil see a list of marked SMTPs, HTTPS, etc...UNMARK all the HTTP's and ur problem wil be solved....

Caveat emptor:- unless you KNOW you need it, NEVER enable SNMP - it activates port 161 and allows all kinds of monitoring of the system.

Back