Problem with loading sites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi , i have this problem thats driving me nuts and no other board could help me. Maybe here i will have more luck.

When browsing a site , any site, it always gives an instant Adress not found page.
With no waiting/searching times, just an instant error.
If i keep refreshing the page, after like 10 times(with the same isntant error), the page is loading normally.
There is no problem with the bandwidth/connectivity , i have a 4 mb pipe, and after torturing the F5 key , the site loads normally and fast.
But even if the page is loaded and works fine, if i go idle for 3 minutes and then attempt to click a link on the page, the instant Adress not found shows again and again with the F5 `till its "hooked" again
I tried with IE, Firefox, Opera - the same.

Now the weird part. I have 2 different ISPs. Lets call them X and Y.
On the same computer X it works only with the neverending use of F5, but Y works like a charm.
On my laptop , X and Y work both fine.

So the problem is related to my computer. But what can it be , considering that the other ISP works without problem on the same computer.

I`m using XP SP1

We found the fault

Please upgrade to SP2
Then SP3
Then all the minor updates after that

All done :)

I thought about it too. But :

1)Yes, but how come another on another ISP works fine on the same SP1 ?

2)And since when XP SP1 is so obsolete that isnt 100%compatible with internet ?
At work we still have win 98 on some computers and they still work fine.... why XP SP1 wouldnt work ?

2)And since when XP SP1 is so obsolete that isnt 100%compatible with internet ?
At work we still have win 98 on some computers and they still work fine.... why XP SP1 wouldnt work ?

Xp is obsolete. That is the final word

Do what I have stated then debate after that

What kind of internet connection do you have? it may be that your connection requires a login and it will log out after a certain amount of time of inactivity. This is common with some DSL type connections.

ha I love it that's always the answer update to the newest service pack and about 3% of the time it fixes the problem :) just my 2 cents. But seriously I would probably update them because it will save you virus/vulnerability issues later.

@kimsland its updated on SP2 and still nothing ; i have SP2 on the laptop also but there is working

What kind of internet connection do you have? it may be that your connection requires a login and it will log out after a certain amount of time of inactivity. This is common with some DSL type connections.

Its not DSL and It doesn't require any login :(

Any other ideas ?

Kimsland wants SP3. You're soooooooooo close now!

I believe that in the scheme of things, acheive SP3 and then upgrade to IE7.

Following this load line gives the maximum flexibility to undo the upgrades if different problems arise due to compatibility issues. SP3 is quite mature at this point, so I view the possibility for 'undo' as slim.

Once upgraded to SP3, that covers 'patching' the security aspect of this.

Sometimes, the only fix for a corrupted IE6 is to install IE7 (my personal case). Kimsland's posted info about resetting IE (ries).

If you want to check if you've been infected, then follow the 8-step malware removal procedure.

Resetting IE settings (ries) may temporarily remove symptoms of infections until the malware is re-triggered. (my opinion)

Problelm loading sites

You could try the following and see if this works for you:

Right click on the Start button, then Explore. Click on Tools in the Tool Bar, then Folder Options, then click on File types. Look for the following file types and perform these steps for each file type:

Select or highlight the file, click on the Advance button, highlight the item "open" under the Actions: window, click on the Edit button, then un-check the box labeled "Use DDE". Click OK, then OK again, until you work your way back to File Types. Repeat the above steps for each file type listed below:

URL-file Transfer Protocol;
URL-HyperText Transfer Protocol;
URL Hper Text Transfer Protocol with Privacy;
then scan down the listing and look for extensions HTM and HTML and perform the same procedure outlined above. When all done, Reboot your computer and see if this fixes your problem.

Added Note: The version of Windows will determine whether you have an "Edit" or "Advance" button in the step noted above.

I finally installed SP3......

And still its not working :(

rf6647 said:
I believe that in the scheme of things, acheive SP3 and then upgrade to IE7.

SP3 -fixed. IE7 - fixed (altough im a Firefox user), but the problem isn't related to browsers (tried Firefox, Opera, IE, Chrome)

No malware either.

gilloz said:
URL-file Transfer Protocol;
URL-HyperText Transfer Protocol;
URL Hper Text Transfer Protocol with Privacy;

No results.

Any other ideas guys ?

My view of the world is somewhat narrow. Personally, I would follow the 8-step malware removal guide

The HJT log gives insight about your protections. MBAM & SAS lay a foundation about general health of the computer with respect to malware. Follow instructions to disable realtime protections while running scans.

Difficulty reaching sites for the tools, then try download dot com

Difficulty running MBAB / SAS, then re-name the executables to disguise the application from the infection.

fix XP internet connectivity with WinSock XP Fix
]

Holly ***** ***** it worked. gguerra you are my hero :wave:

This problem was going for a few months already and no other boards were able to be of any help. I almost broke my F5 key all this time.

Again thanks to gguerra and also to other guys who tried to help (although i was afraid that after forcing me to install SP and SP3, the next step will be to update to Windows Vienna :blush: )

Glad I could help.. I thought of the winsock fix when you stated "no malware" I have seen this before and the damage had been most likely caused by malware. When you remove the malware you will not necessarily fix the problems left behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back