Problem with my computer, possibly from a registry cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem with my computer, a large amount of applications will NOT run, including iTunes, several games, etc.. As well as these not working, my wireless internet will occasionally glitch, and simply say "Wireless Network Connection - Signal Strength : Excellent - Status: Connected." Rather then displaying what I'm connected to and the actually signal strength, which should be "No Signal" or "Very Low". As well as all of this, my sound will occasionally stop working. This is happening right now. Sometimes, some things will randomly freeze, and I would have to close them using Windows Task Manager. Windows Task Manager also will say something about not being able to open when I first open it. After two or so tries, it will open.

I believe that all of this is occurring because of a registry cleaner I had used. About three nights ago, I downloaded and installed three different registry cleaners. Registry Mechanic, Registry Fix(?), and Eusing Free Registry Cleaner. I had Registry Mechanic and Registry Fix both do scans, but they would only fix a part of the total amount of errors found. There was about 1200 or so. Only about 50 of these problems were fixed, so I tried to find a completely free registry cleaner. I found "Eusing Free Registry Cleaner." I scanned, found about 500 or so errors, and then "repaired" my registry. I did this as an attempt to try to clear up some space on my computer. I was extremely happy when I looked at the amount of space cleared. I had gained about 17 gigabytes of extra space. I then closed my computer and installed a Windows Update (no idea how this might have contributed to the problem). The next day, my brother was complaining about a bunch of things not working. I didn't see what was wrong. A day after that, I noticed a lot of things not working, and finding it much harder to connect to the internet. The next day after that (today), I went almost the whole day without internet, simply because I couldn't connect. My computer would not connect to my adapter on start-up.

I'm planning to re-format my computer tomorrow, but before I do that, I want to see if there's any other solution to this. I'm not a big fan of re-formatting. I also tried to do a system restore, but all my restore points have been wiped, or something. There is nothing except for the current day, and there is no restore points on the current day either.

Is there any way of fixing this without re-formatting?

(Sorry for all the text, I wanted to be as detailed as possible.)

Is there any way of fixing this without re-formatting?

Negative. Unless you have a backup of your Registry (which you should always do before using software which claims to "clean" anything related to your Registry), the best you can probably do is reinstall Windows. Any possible fixes or work arounds would probably be more stressful and take longer than just reinstalling anyway.

Lesson learned :).

I DO have a backup of my registry, although it was back from March. I also have a backup in the form of an RAR from the second registry cleaner I used. I used the backup from March, but nothing changed, I just had about 500 or so more problems after scanning again (I didn't do anything afterward, just a scan) but nothing was fixed, my system possibly got worse too.

The RAR from Registry Fix (I'm not even sure if it's a backup anymore) can't be used with Eusing, and I have no idea what it CAN be used with, and I don't want to download anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back