Status
Not open for further replies.

padjoe

im new here so hope this is in right section and not been done before

okay need help
i have purchased a ati radeon 5xxx to upgrgrade from my old ati
i have a 600w psu and 3 gig of paired up ram
and an asrock conroe 1333 esata2 mobo

so when i added my new gpu to board into pci x16 slot i get 1 long beep and 8 short (no display-Display retrace failure.)
my mobo has a slot for crossfire but only runs at x4 speed, so when the card is in this slot it works okay.

Is the card's external power connector plugged into the power supply?

the board itself has a 4 pin molex which is for cross fire i have that powered up but the gpu is a sapphire ati 5670 which dosent need a power connection

some boards have molex headers for additional power but i don't think it's for CF... either that or he means the CPU power??

yeah, I think he means a 4+4 CPU connector. boards that have additional power for CF have connectors that you use the 5v FDD connectors for.

yep uninstalled all old ati drivers

the mobo book says plug is for sli/xfire power conector

and i was thinking because the pc wont show bios screen it cant be drivers but i dont know that for certain

thanks for the quick response

Have you ever used the x16 slot successfully for any other graphics card or is this the first time you've tried to use it? If it is the first time, either the card isn't seating properly in the slot or perhaps the slot is defective or so it seems to me. One other possibility I can think of, is there excessive dust in the x16 slot due to no card installed for a long period?

yep the x16 slot was being used up until this week with my old graphics card and it was working perfectly just a bit dated and called for an upgrade

I have the same problem. Also upgraded and i get beeps now at startup. When i press the reset button the pc starts normally.

some other suggestions that i found - worth a try

"We've had a couple of people that weren't able to unstick the PCI-E, but generally, it is doable by the ways you've already tried:

Flash to the latest BIOS.

Raise or lower the PCI-E frequency, then boot all the way to windows, then back to the BIOS and raise/lower it again, keep trying this one notch at a time.

Someone else suggested that placing the card in the other PCI-E slot, then booting to windows, then back to the BIOS, raise/lower PCI-E frequency and then shut down, change the card back to the main PCI-E slot, this sometimes works."

Perhaps the power supply is having trouble providing sufficient power to the new card for the PCI-E x16 slot. It might be getting weak.

doubt its that its a brand new 600w modular, modding psu

i wrote to mobo manufature and they gave me a new bios to try, so ill go for it
thanks for everybodys help
hope the bios works

got it going with new bios upraged, faster to boot to windows now aswell
but i keep gettting a new hardware detected sign and asking to find uaa driver but i cant find it
but right now everything works
thanks all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back