Problem with OC 2.8 - 3.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys,

Currently my system is at 3.01 from 2.8, and my ddr400 pc3200 mushkin is @ 430 from 400. Timings are 2-5-3-3. Ive tried turing the ras-cas to 2 but i get an error at startup. ANYWAY, so im trying to get it to be at 3.2, and i can, with a 230 multiplyer but it only lasts for about 10mins of hard gaming (ut2k3) But at that speed im guessing i need more voltage. Also, at that multiplyer (230) my ram is at 460, and i dont want it at that so i put it at 368 because for some dumb reason, my fsb multiplyer cannot be different from my memory multiplyer.

So my question is, How can i keep my ram @ 400mhz (200 multiplyer) and still up my fsb/clock to 3.2 with the 230 multiplyer and what voltage do i need to keep it stable at that setting?

Ive looked in my bios but cant seem to find a setting to let me have different multiplyers for the fsb and the memory.

someone help me out a little! thanks...

Read the manual. If you don't want to read the manual, then maybe someone here can do it for you :=). Because you are running a P4, you'll need to adjust the FSB:MEM clock ratio to OC because the cpu multiplier is fixed. If you wish to run your memory at 200, and your cpu at a different setting, then choose the ratio that comes closest for your cpu.

I think you mis-understood me. Ill try to be more clear. Ok, i know the cpu multiplyer is fixed, thats fine. What i meant by memory, was my ddr RAMS memory speed (400mhz). I didnt mean memory = fsb speed. So what i meant, was how to have a different multiplyer. Specifically, what i want is this:

FSB multiplyer 230x14 = 3.2ghz (roughly)
BUT i need to know what voltage to run it at (any experiance anyone?) Its currently at 1.52 i think.....

+

DDR Memory Multiplyer 215 = 430mhz

My problem is i CANT have different multiplyers, and its freezing my computer because my ram doesnt like being pushed to 460 with a 230 multiplyer setting. SO how can i have 2 different multiplyer settings? (each have their own)

......ok, so how do i do that...lol. There is a menu that has "dram timings" in it but what exactly do i change???

You can't pick and choose individual multiplier settings for P4 based systems such as yours. You only have one multiplier to play with. You need to choose the most suitable FSB:MEM clock ratio that comes closest to your requirements.

Ok well i dont think im confused, it was just hard to explain, i knew i had to change my ram timing, etc, just couldnt find it in the bios.

Lets forget that for a moment, i actually dont mind having my ram @ 368 instead of 400 in order to reach 3.2. So thats not a big deal. My more important problem was how much more voltage i would need to keep it stable at 3.2. Like i said before, my core volt is at 1.52 right now. how much of an increase should i go? 1.55? 1.60 even? or should i just increase it bit-by-bit untill it doesnt crash?

Originally posted by djrafh
......ok, so how do i do that...lol. There is a menu that has "dram timings" in it but what exactly do i change???

you said that your memory timing were at 2-5-3-3. if you are stable at those memory timings, then leave it there. if you wanted to OC your processor even more with your P4 (if you got lucky and got a real good OC'er), you most likely have to loosen your memory timings to something like 3-8-4-4 so you can raise your FSB even more. it will likely become unstable otherwise. you have to benchmark and see whether or not the increase in FSB is more benefical compared to tighter memory timings.

Originally posted by djrafh
My more important problem was how much more voltage i would need to keep it stable at 3.2. Like i said before, my core volt is at 1.52 right now. how much of an increase should i go? 1.55? 1.60 even? or should i just increase it bit-by-bit untill it doesnt crash?

if your system is stable with a vcore of 1.52 @3.2, then by all means leave the vcore at 1.52. you only need to raise you vcore (of course in small increments) if your system starts to become unstable if you are going to OC it a bit more. run some benchmarks like 3Dmark, SuperPi, etc. and see if you run into some problems. if not, then it should be okay. remember, the higher the vcore, the more heat the P4 produces so you only want to raise the vcore as needed.

i believe so. try 1.55 first, then if it is still unstable go to 1.6. btw what is the voltage on your dram? you might want to raise that first if you haven't done so already.

my dram voltage is set to "auto" so im not too sure what setting its at right now, which kinda makes it hard to know how much to up it lol....but ill try 1.55 then 1.60 for the vcore and see.

you should raise your dram voltage first. it may be that your ram is your source of instability and not your cpu since your dram is set to auto. raise it up to something like 2.65 or 2.7 and see if you're computer is still unstable with 1.52 vcore. OC'ing with a P4 is very memory dependant so i believe it could be you are not providing enough juice to the ram when you are trying to get your CPU to 3.2ghz.

The memory timing on some motherboards can be adjusted separately from the FSB. This is called Asyncronous mode. My Abit IS7 mobo allows me to run AGP, PCI, and Memory at fixed speeds regardless of the FSB. I'm running 3.0Ghz (12x250mhz) with AGP, PCI, and Memory at 66, 33, 200 respectively.
As the the CPU voltage, increase it bit by bit until it's stable. Be sure to watch the heat as you increase the voltage.
You might try flashing the BIOS on your mobo. With the my new BIOS my CPU runs at stock voltage @ 3.0Ghz while it didn't previously.

The reason i dont think my ram made it unstable is because when i first oc'd to 3.2 the ram went up from 400 to 460. so i think thats why. so im gonna see what upping my vcore will do with my ram @ 368.

Ok so heres the results:

my vcore is now at 1.65 volts

My cpu is now at 3.43 ghz

My ram is at 392mhz.

Unfortunately, its still kinda unstable during hardcore gaming (ut2k3) so is it safe for me to up it to 1.67 or 1.70 volts?

Upping the VCore over 10% ( in your case 0.15V ) is very dangerous.

It might not kill your chip right away, but you could end up with a chip where the L2 cache is shot & you have to disable it for the CPU to work.

So feel free to do so, at your own risk.

Ok

Feedback time. Still unstable @ 3.4 so i upped it to 1.70 volts. Lol, bad idea i found out, the chip melted itself to the bottom of my heatsink's thermal paste. lol. The chip isnt damaged, but i dont think ill put it up that high. im going to stay at 3.2, and see where i can get it too stay. although even with 1.60 volts, it still seems unstable even at 3.2, with my ram @ 368. Any suggestions?

Then your chip is not a good OCer. It was never garanteed to be.

Keep it at the last successfull OC you did ( 3.0GHZ I believe ) or better yet, bring it back to stock speeds. I don't see what it is that you can't do with a 2.8GHZ P4.

What cant i do with my chip? a solid 80+ fps CONSTANT in unreal tourn. 2003 @ 1280 res. w/max detail. I dont want a 55-30 fps. One last question, what does "clock spread spectrum" option do in bios?

An aero-flow from vantec, solid copper core. My temps @ 1.60colts clocked at 3.4ghz were pushing 60c i think. @ 3.0ghz it was around 36c with 1.52 volts

Ive managed to find a stable speed at 3.1 ghz, with 1.55 volts. So, still want to know what clock spread spectrum is, and if it does anything usefull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back