Problem with RAM upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a HP Pavilion a820n it came with 512mb of ram and Windows XP.

Now the problem. I bought 2x 1gb sticks and i cant get it to work with both sticks. It works fine with 1 stick and it works fine with the 512 but not with both 2gb sticks or any combination of the 1gb and the 2x 256mb sticks.

If i use more than 1 of the 1gig sticks it will work great for a while. Sometimes a few hours sometimes a few minutes but eventually it will lock up.

The 1 gig sticks are the same brand style ect. Shouldnt i be able to use both? According to crucial i should be able to use 4 gigs??

I have tried putting the i gig in the slots together also i have tried using both the blues ( 1 & 3 ) That way it wont even start. With one in the first 2 it starts but then locks up.
The brand is Super-Talent
There is a model number of D32PB1GN on them
It also says PC3200

I dont know how to check to see if this is the right ram for sure but the people i bought it from says it is??

Is there any setting or something i am doing wrong?

PS i have tried reseating several times, its not that.

Thanks in advance.

SuperTalent is third tier RAM.
To test, I would borrow some first or second tier RAM, or sell those units on eBay, and install Crucial, Buffalo, Kingston, or other RAM that is NOT Value Ram.

If it works with one of the 1 Gb sticks, did you try swapping them to make sure they both work? Try putting them in slot 2 and 4, or 1 and 4 and I am not sure if the mobo supports this but can you manually configure the RAM timings? If you can, make sure it's on Auto inside the BIOS.

a lot of those HP machine were very picky and specific about the type of ram they would accept, (non ecc,registered , only single or dual sided etc) you may want to specifically check a compatibility list if you haven't yet. also if you got high density ram, that will definitely not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back