Problems with audio driver AC97

Status
Not open for further replies.

tashun

I have Windows XP professional,and the audio driver is C-Media AC97.Everytime I activate sound it make my computer reboot.I have service pack2 also.I try to do hardware updates,and there aren't any.Please help with this problem...Thanks.

Hi tashun

Try uninstalling your sound drivers and then re-installing them. Also, please do give us some more information on the problem. When did it start happening? What were you doing when it first started? Do you have sound when you log into Windows? Do you see any yellow triangles next to your audio devices in Device Manager in your Control Panel? Do you have an anti-virus that is updated and have you done recent scans?

Spyder_1386 :)

Problems with ac97

I don't have a reinstall disc,but I've disabled the driver many times.When I enable the driver,I get BSOD.Its been happening every since I figured how to activate the sound,the pc was my little sister's and she never had sound.No I don't have sound when logging on.There aren't any yellow triangles showing,I have Windows One Care but this was happening before I got that.Sometimes I can actually get the sound to work,but it slows down my system and it eventually will go to BSOD.Also I've been on C-Media and they're not of any help at all.I don't know what else to do and can't afford to buy a sound card.Thanks For Any Help!:confused:

There is a new Audio driver for AC97 that has all the best of all the drivers for AC97, and it works great. You might want to try it... but remove the old drivers before you install the new gadget.

There is a new Audio driver for AC97 that has all the best of all the drivers for AC97, and it works great. You might want to try it... but remove the old drivers before you install the new gadget.

Really Raybay? The very best of all the AC97 drivers for every AC97 chip out there today??? Gee, want to provide us all with that link?

Tashun

This may be difficult without install disks as sounds you may have lots of problems but let's try and start with the following:
Download and run Everest Home. From top of Everest window:
  • Click File->Preferences
    • Check English
    • Still under Preferences click Report, uncheck Include Debug Information
    • Close Preferences window
  • Click Reports->Report Wizard. Get a Custom Report in plain text. Check items
    • Computer
    • Motherboard
    • Audio
  • Attach the report file to a TechSpot post. When you create your TechSpot post, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see it among your icons, you need to click the TechSpot Go Advanced button towards bottom of window)
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Check if Windows reports any problem devices
  • First make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

You can start by doing a Gurgle search for AC'97 drivers, then select from the ten options you will find in the search...
Those connected with RealTek are particularly improved... They have done a good job of making one driver set fit a number of devices... old and new.

You can start by doing a Gurgle search for AC'97 drivers, then select from the ten options you will find in the search...
Those connected with RealTek are particularly improved... They have done a good job of making one driver set fit a number of devices... old and new.

LOL LOL LOL :haha: :haha: :haha:

Now how did i already know your reply was gonna be another "Raybay-ism". Never answer the question directly with evidence but tell someone to go look it up themselves

It is way past time for you to knock it off. You are insulting yourself and this forum.

No. Sorry. I'm requesting you for once have an intelligent technical discussion. That's what forums are for.

Please get your facts correct and at least know how to give a hint of knowing the facts behind what you say and what you're talking about. I'm happy to discuss if you ever gave a real answer

Thanks alot,for the advice I'll try it soon as I get home.Yeah the other person just told me something I already knew.I've googled myself half-crazy so that's no help...I guess he was trying to be useful though!

You're most welcome! Glad to try and provide you step-by-step instructions to try and solve your issue. (Can't guarantee can be fixed without needing a reinstall.but will certainly help you look and try)

As for Raybay, i guess he was trying to be useful. Though if he ever follows his own answers/advice to "simply go Gurgle" for those solutions he purports, i'm confident he's also gone half-crazy himself by now.. well, at minimum, half-crazy i'd guess

I also need to install the Realtek AC97 driver BUT evry option is covered by Driver detective and the Realtek site says that the driver detective dose not supply the driver address. OK where can I install the driver update from???

We'll need some more specific information, please. Tell us the make/model of your computer, what version of windows and Service Pack level is installed?

Also, check if Windows reports any problem devices
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

RealTek has released a sort of generic driver for AC97 that is designed to work with most of their units: Realtek does now work with Driver Detective as do many others because it relieves them of the support responsibility.
However, this RealTek site offers the generic driver that works for most needs:
http://download.cnet.com/Realtek-AC-97-Driver-Windows-98-Me-2000-XP-2003/3000-2120_4-10238712.html
Worth a try.
Otherwise, the Driver Detective site found with a RealTek AC97 search does provide drivers that work with every RealTek unit we have tested... though it is not free.

realtek AC97

We'll need some more specific information, please. Tell us the make/model of your computer, what version of windows and Service Pack level is installed?

Also, check if Windows reports any problem devices

The PC is a PackardBell IMEDIA 5043. I am running XP service pack 3
I have followed the instructions and there are no problem drivers.
The sound driver is reported as c media ac97 Audio Device
Status unknown
when I access the control panel, "sounds & audio devices"
the report is "No Audio Device"

Ac'97

Hey videoman...I have cmedia too.Make sure your speakers are connected in the plug if they're not built in your pc.I had that problem too,also I've had to keep activating the audio through device manager until it picked up my speakers.II don't like cmedia man,they're website is a lost cause too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back