Problems with new graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone.

So, recently, I obtained a new graphics card. I had installed the drivers and disabled the drivers of my onboard graphics which I was using. Everything was fine, until I played a 720p video (not streaming, it was downloaded). The video would lag and was very choppy, however the sound played fine. I tried other videos and they all were the same. I tried playing with another player, but to no prevail. Actually, the 480p videos would also lag behind the sound, but to a less noticable effect. By lag, I mean that the graphics would get further and further behind the sound, as in the two werent playing at the same rate. My old onboard graphics would play them without any problems.

Oh, and the graphics card was the ATI Radeon HD 4550.

Does anyone have an idea of what's going on? And any suggestions on what to do? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Check to make sure you have the updated drivers. If you installed using the CD it may have contained outdated drivers (as most do)

Also check and see if your PSU has enough Amps and watts to supply the card. It seems as though the card on idle is fine with the amount of power, but as soon as enough strain is put on it and the power requirements go up, it falls short.

Does the card also perform badly in games or any other graphical intensive program?

Yes, I have the drivers from the website, and not the CD.
My power supply has two 12V rails and 18 amps on each. I'm thinking that should be enough.
I have tried to run games that I couldnt run with my onboard graphics and this graphics card can actually play them.

Update: I tried some HD streaming from youtube and I'm experiencing the same lag, however, I realise this can be caused by internet problems.

I had a similar problem with my ATI card earlier this week when streaming video. I was watching a Hulu video in full screen and it started to freeze up but the sound would work just fine.
The solution I found was to disable hardware acceleration. Just right click in the video window and select settings and then uncheck the box. Hope that works for you as it did for me.

Heya, Tizzlejack.

Well, my problem isnt with only streaming video but also with downloaded ones. I found an option similar to hardware acceleration on WMP, and infact it did help but the "picture" was still playing slower than the sound.

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately for me it didnt work.

Go to safe mode uninstall Catalyst drivers, then run driver sweeper found here www.guru3d.com

clean ATI , reboot then install latest WHQL 10.3 drivers that just came out.. gl

Hello.

Alright, so I went into safe mode, and uninstalled the driver though device manager. Then I ran driver sweeper, still in safe mode. Rebooted and ran ATI Uninstall Manager. Ran driver sweeper once again. I noticed that there was a nvidia display, and I dont know how that got there, and it wasnt in the display adaptors in device manager, or in add/remove programs. So, I cleaned out the files anyway, along with another clean of the ATI display drivers. Rebooted. Reinstalled the drivers though the website download. Rebooted.

Okay, so I tried to play the videos again, and still the video would be behind the sound. However, I had some .avi videos and those seemed to run okay, but I havent played the whole thing yet. Will update when I get around to it. The video file that would lag are in MKV format. So, yeah it didnt seem to have worked, unless I did something wrong.

Thanks for the help and support everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back