Problems with Windows 7 and ATI HD 6850 G/Card

Tommygunn

I'm attempting to install Windows 7 on my desktop. So far the installation of the Windows itself has gone smoothly, however, when I attempt to load the software for my g/card (HD6850), either from the disk or downloaded from ATI/AMD, and it asks me to restart the computer to finish the installation, it then all goes wrong.
Upon restart I get the Windows welcome graphics but then when it enters the desktop the background image is set to 16:9, or thereabouts, and with no icons or navigation - nothing except the image.

What is causing this? Is it, as I suspect, a conflict with my aging Dual core E6400 CPU and Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard.
No problem encountered when using XP.

Tom.

Sounds like it's treating your screen as a second extended desktop monitor, do you have anything else plugged into video output ports on the card (HDMI to receiver etc.)?

I do have our TV plugged into the HDMI socket but it has never been on during any period of this problem. I'll try without.

Tom.

You should be able to turn your TV on, select the HDMI input on that and use it to and set your main monitor as display #1 instead of display #2 as it currently is. (or set them to mirror/clone each other if they're the same resolution).

Back