Processing power has increased by one trillion-fold over the past six decades

Shawn Knight

Staff member

It’s easy to take for granted the sheer processing power that today’s CPUs afford. Heck, even chips from 30 years ago are still incredibly powerful compared to what was produced during the early days of computing.

To help visualize the incredible one trillion-fold increase in performance over the past six decades, Experts Exchange has put together this data-packed infographic.

In addition to charting the pure processing power of a number of CPUs and devices, the graphic compares the technological equivalents of several common products. Enjoy!

trillion fold increase computing power visualized hardware found processingpower

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

The comparison only has meaning within the existing PC architecture.
not really, there is a range of arm chips and ASIC's in super computers. This actually has less to do with PC's and more do with with super computers

This is incorrect, one PS4 = 18,400 Xbox ones. And where is the 1 PS2 = 1 balistic missile comparison?

If a 2 MHz computer could guide Apollo to a safe landing on the moon, I'm fairly sure the average smartphone could guide an ICBM to a (not so safe) landing on the city of your choice.

It's mostly just sad how the ps3 and ps4 fall so close to each other. Not an order of magnitude difference like in the earlier generations.

If a 2 MHz computer could guide Apollo to a safe landing on the moon, I'm fairly sure the average smartphone could guide an ICBM to a (not so safe) landing on the city of your choice.

I'm sure using the average smartphone would result in a premature detonation or missing the target completely as a result of the app crashing.

That may be so but the "extra power" has not brought anything worthy to the table. The mobile space especially has become a real joke. Shoot the duck and COD clones do not indicate a major uptick in computational power.

I can still accomplish a lot more with a Celeron 600 and a Voodoo 2 than a silly overpriced tablet / "smart phone".

Perhaps it is more a question of developers lacking real vision and talent ? Don't see MS making any effort to port Halo to their Lumia range - just a thought.

I'm sure using the average smartphone would result in a premature detonation or missing the target completely as a result of the app crashing.
More like the app would be put to sleep because of excessive power draw, and the warhead would crush someone's house instead of destroying a much larger target.

Why aren't the working quantum computers included?

In theory, they can do all calculations simultaneously and therefor speed rating becomes obsolete.

Why aren't the working quantum computers included?

In theory, they can do all calculations simultaneously and therefor speed rating becomes obsolete.

Because it's only in theory. Everything on the list actually exists and is useable. All current QCs can do is provide physics demos; they can't run any software useful for anything else.

Back