Protecting Music Collection

Punkid

I just wanted to know what you guy do to protect your media collection from accidentally being deleted?

I'm often scared that I would accidentally delete or do something else to my whole library using MediaBee (or some other tagging software)

I know backing up to another drive would be one option, but what else can be done? Can I set the music folder to "read-only" for some minor protection ?

Accidentally deleting all my memory card files (from Music to pictures, and Contacts) is very disappointing. It happened to me twice. What I did is that I took a backup drive and save everything into it in case of emergency. I even saved it on the Cloud for me to have an easier access when the deleting happens again. My vpn helps me maintain this activity and makes it easier for me.

"Can I set the music folder to 'read-only' for some minor protection ?"
That would disallow any new additions! A better choice would be to set all the files within to be R/O

The linux approach would be to
  • cd iTunes Media
  • cd Music
  • find . -type f -exec chmod ugo-w {} \; -print
  • (find all files within and below the current directory and remove the Writable attribute)
  • find . -type d -exec chmod ugo-w {} \; -print
  • (then protect the existing subdirs from being modified; this is at the Album level)
New Albums can still be added to Music\

With NFS, navigate to the same location (iTunes Media\Music) and alter the perms so as to effect only subdirs

I have all my music living on my linux server with a read only share being access by my machines throughout the house (and my remote devices)

Does anyone know how to remove the disk protection of a Micro SD? I can't add any music and other files into it because its lock.

Back