Protection from Packet Sniffers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike_Gore

Hi,

This packet sniffing issue seems to be quite serious and I think it is not mentioned enough. People just install an antivirus software and use a firewall and they think their computer is secure. Well wrong!

What I'd like to know is how do we protect our wireless networks from packet sniffers. I have read someone talking about SSL, encrypting data, using VPN and IPSec but am not sure how to do it.

Some questions;

1-) If I have a router that I connect to wirelessly, can that router (which has been secured with WEP or WPA) be hacked and sniffed by a packet sniffer? Or do they need physical access to the device? If the router has been compromised, wouldn't I notice this (i.e. wouldn't they be visible on the router homepage of connected computers. Also wouldn't it affect the router password?)

2-) If I use a wireless range extender that is connected to the main router, and connect wirelessly to the wireless range extender, would this help at all?

3-) So, okay maybe you will tell me to use encryption... well how? Do I do these settings on my main router, wireless range extender, my laptop which I will connect wirelessly or the computer to which the main router is attached to?

4-) I tried VPN. Settings ask for hostname, dialling a number etc. Mine is just an adsl broadband. Is VPN applicable to any ISP subscription. Do I need to contact them, or is this something that can be easily done on our own?

5-) All these settings etc seems like a lot of fuss. Is there some software I can just install that would do all the necessary protection automatically? ( Couldn't find antisniff... its old software no longer works or available. I also tried to promiscan, didn't seem to do much)

With kind regards,

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back