Prototype Apple-1 computer used by Steve Jobs auctioned for almost $700,000

Tudor Cibean

Staff
In context: In 1976, Steve Jobs used this prototype to demonstrate the Apple-1 computer to Paul Terrell, owner of one of the first computer stores in the world. Terrell later placed a purchase order for fifty Apple-1s. If the prototype was in better condition, it could have set a new record amount paid for an Apple-1 computer, which currently sits at $905,000.

An anonymous collector in the San Francisco Bay Area just bought the only known Apple-1 prototype in existence for $677,196 at an auction. While we've seen Apple-1 computers sell for similar amounts at auctions before, this one is particularly unique as it's the prototype Apple co-founder Steve Jobs used as a demo.

The Apple-1 released in 1976 and was Apple's first-ever product. It came with a MOS 6502 CPU running at 1 MHz, a whopping 4KB of RAM, and an optional cassette interface card that allowed users to store programs on audio cassette tapes. It originally was priced at $666.66 (equivalent to about $3,460 today) as Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak reportedly liked repeating digits. Only about 200 units of the Apple-1 were ever produced, out of which 62 are still confirmed to exist.

The prototype has an 'Apple Computer A' engraving in place of the usual "Apple Computer 1" label and is said to have been hand-soldered by Wozniak. RR Auction said the Woz's "unusual 'three handed' technique—wire in one hand, soldering iron in the other, and solder held in his mouth—is evident in the tight 'bubbles' formed at the soldered connections."

According to RR Auction, the prototype sat in the garage of Job's childhood home (where he and Wozniak founded Apple) for a few years before he gave it to an unknown person approximately 30 years ago. Unfortunately, the right side containing the Sprague Atom capacitors broke off at some point and was lost.

At the same auction, a first-generation iPhone sealed in the original box sold for $35,414, while a 1971 high school yearbook signed by Jobs went for $28,410.

Back in June, an original Apple-1 that had been refurbished to full working order sold for $340,100. The item is said to be unique as it's believed to be the only model in existence with Wozniak's signature on the Motorola 6502 processor.

Permalink to story.

Man, people find the stupidest things to spend their money on. A useless computer from the 70's that doesn't even work and has a big chunk missing from one corner. All yours for only $700,000!

Man, people find the stupidest things to spend their money on. A useless computer from the 70's that doesn't even work and has a big chunk missing from one corner. All yours for only $700,000!

My dislike of Apple precedes me - but in the scheme of things -- this purchase is quite rational - something showing the history of the development of the personal PC .

Compare that to an NFT of an Ape
Or some generic drivel from Banksy- who most don't care who he is - because he's selfish - whose work plagiarized a lot of others going for 10 million.
( another rant of mind - nothing I see of his is anymore thought provoking and even less original than a good satire cartoon imagine - done every week , every where in the world )

The person buying it probably has shares value 250 Million odd

Many Humans are so wrapped up in flavour of month

When I visited the Louvre over the years seeing the Mona Lisa, or Venus De Milo etc was just incidental - yet both can have huge amount of people wanting their turn - yet the museum is filled to the brim with wonderful stuff that would take days to see .

To put this all in perspective these rich buyers can waste money on frivolous things - that may or may not make them anymore happy . So given that you just need a lesser amount .

My dislike of Apple precedes me - but in the scheme of things -- this purchase is quite rational - something showing the history of the development of the personal PC .

Compare that to an NFT of an Ape
Or some generic drivel from Banksy- who most don't care who he is - because he's selfish - whose work plagiarized a lot of others going for 10 million.
( another rant of mind - nothing I see of his is anymore thought provoking and even less original than a good satire cartoon imagine - done every week , every where in the world )

The person buying it probably has shares value 250 Million odd

Many Humans are so wrapped up in flavour of month

When I visited the Louvre over the years seeing the Mona Lisa, or Venus De Milo etc was just incidental - yet both can have huge amount of people wanting their turn - yet the museum is filled to the brim with wonderful stuff that would take days to see .

To put this all in perspective these rich buyers can waste money on frivolous things - that may or may not make them anymore happy . So given that you just need a lesser amount .

Yeah, it’s basically a piece of history/art that someone will frame and put on display.

Yeah, it’s basically a piece of history/art that someone will frame and put on display.

No it wont.

It will get shoved in a safety deposit box next to the gold coins and, like those gold coins, is basically being used as an inflation beating/proof investment.

Rich people don't have cash. I don't know if Musk is able to even buy a street hotdog. But they buy this kind of things as an investment, because value increases with time for things that are unique and famous. Same with art. No amount of money is ridiculous as long as there is demand. How much is it worth is subjective. And that's also why, at the end of the spectrum, you get complete scams, like NFTs.

Well we already found that stupid man who bought it..

Back