Proxy server

compused

Recently Windows updated both my partner's and my laptop with 23 updates for Vista. Ever since those updates over the weekend my partner keeps on getting a proxy server window appear on his desktop asking for a password.

We have Virgin wireless broadband and changed over from 3 Broadband. I told my partner to uninstall 3 Broadband, which he has done but it still comes up with this window. We have gone into all the Internet connection windows and unticked any option for a proxy server and it still comes.

Is there anything we can do that we haven't tried yet?

Compused

Ok, this question is quite old, so I'm going to take a stab at it!

I'm assuming that since you have Virgin wireless and going from 3 broadband that you are in the UK. I have zero experience with anything in the UK as b/c I'm in the US. Nevertheless, I'm going to try and assist you the best I can.

I'd say uninstall all Virgin wireless & 3 Broadband software that is on the computer. IF the virgin wireless connection is a regular wireless router in your home, then just simply connect to the wifi network is shows when you use the built in wifi software for windows, enter the wireless password & you should be good to go. IF the virgin wireless connection is a USB adapter, then reinstall the software accordingly, run the program and it should connect. As for this proxy window popping up, I'm really not sure why it's doing that, is it a windows proxy window or a window from the virgin wireless software?! either way, take a screenshot & post back.

Also post back specs on the system in question, info on the type of wireless connection you have from virgin wireless (USB, PCMCIA, wifi hotspot device, etc.).

Hope this helps, take care!

Back