Proxy server

gwailo247

So, say, I wanted to make a certain website in the UK think I was in the UK. Theoretically.

How would I go about doing that?

So, say, I wanted to make a certain website in the UK think I was in the UK. Theoretically.
Yet subject is PROXY SERVER; which is it? Please describe your intent - - btw: Physicality is not relevant here.

I guess you are saying that the BBC iPlayer is sensitive to allow ONLY UK users.

This would mean:
  1. You need your Proxy Server to be hosted in the UK and thus would look like a UK user.
  2. Then you need the Proxy Server configuration itself.

I would learn to do (#2) locally before looking for a UK hosting site. Likely you will need to do EVERYTHING
manually for yourself, ie first configure an Apache Webserver and then mutate it into a Proxy Server.

Once you get the local Proxy functioning correctly, you could get a hosting solution and upload your configuration,

I guess I should have been more specific, I know I need to do #1 and #2.

I was looking for some advice or links as to how to exactly do that.

I know that there are some free solutions out there, I don't need super reliability or speed, just occasional use.

The details are ALL in the HOW-TO configure a PROXY, which is obviously product dependent.
You need the documentation for the product you choose to implement. By definition, a PROXY is not a simple
thing and takes lots of reading and testing to get right. You might look at the Apache group as they provide
good documentation - - AND you can load it directly to your PC for local testing.

Oh, sounds like more effort than just obtaining the shows through other means.

Thanks for your time!

Yes, a Proxy(PS) is far more complicated than a web server (WS). A WS is really quite simple; accept a request, find the resource(s) and return them to the requestor.

A PS not only does that, but must rewrite the request, access the real WS, read all the reply data and then rewrite it as
a reply from itself(aka the PS). Those REWRITE rules get to be real fun (not).

BBC TV productions are paid for by the UK television licence fee and rights agreements with third parties. Thus, all BBC iPlayer TV programmes are accessible from IP addresses allocated to the UK only, as of 2011.

Kind of sounds like you may be attempting to avoid the subscription fee since your IP is through the Polish internet.

Kind of sounds like you may be attempting to avoid the subscription fee since your IP is through the Polish internet.

Thanks Captain Obvious. Kinda sounds like I don't live in the UK. But thanks for taking the time to post that.

Back