PS2 keyboard problems

Picklebob

Hi, I just started using a computer I built again after letting it sit around for about a year. I have 2 problems so far with it that didn't occur the last time I used it ( or any other time for that matter ).

1. Usually windows would automatically boot up, and the boot screen ( press tab for POST, del for set up ) would only show for a second or 2 before booting. Now it just stays there at the boot screen. I did unplug my hard drive from data and power before I initially turned on the computer because I thought I had a different HD in there but it was actually the one I desired to be in there do I quickly plugged it back in. I don't understand why it's not booting up how it used to. Could this be something to do with the hard drive itself, or possibly an error in Windows 7?

2. I figured I was alright because I had an extra PS2 keyboard already hooked up to the computer that I used frequently to mess with the BIOS before I stopped using this computer. The strangest thing occurred when I plugged it in though. The lights on the keyboard light up for less than half a second (sometimes they stay on for a second) but instantly turn off. There seems to be some kind of short somewhere. I don't have any other computers that have PS2 ports so I don't know if the problem is the keyboard or the port itself. If it did happen to be the port, could I try something to fix it or do I need to get a new mobo? :( hopefully not the latter

Thanks

Well I just found a different keyboard and the same thing happens so it's obviously the port. What should I do?

I have another junk motherboard with the same port on it. Would it be possible to sauter that port to my good motherboard

why not just use a usb mouse. Less hassle. If you were messing with bios befpre you shut it down back. Why not try setting the bios now.Back to default settings. It may fix your keyboard problem. Just a thought!!!!!!!!!!!

Well the thing is the only options I have are to press tab for Post or press delete for setup, which require a keyboard.

Yes I have both but I don't have the USB legacy support enabled on bios so the USB stuff doesn't power up until it boots

I just found out something else. When I plug in my USB mouse, it does the same thing as the ps2 keyboards. The optical light on the mouse turns on for maybe a second, then shuts off. Obviously I have no use for the mouse in the boot screen, but now I know it isn't just the PS2 port. Something must be wrong with the mobo? Idk. It's weird, however, that my USB keyboard doesn't power up in the boot screen but the mouse does. I know for a fact the keyboard works because I just used it today on a different computer. Please help. I don't want to spend $300 on a new mobo + new CPU + new ram of I can just do something to simply fix this issue

The usb keyboard don't work because you don' t have usb on in the bios. Have you tried clearing the cmos on the motherboard or pulling the battery out for a few mins to clear the bios. This might work.

You may need to remove every thing from the mobo, Except its memory , and video, Try booting then, Add this back one at a time. See if this helps.

Back