PS3 firmware 3.60 adds cloud storage, blocks hackers

Jos

Staff

Sony has released a new firmware update for its PlayStation 3 console that brings a couple of new things to the table. The big one, although available only to paying PlayStation Plus subscribers, is the addition of a remote save feature that gives users 150MB of space to play with, for a maximum of 1,000 game saves which can be accessed from any PS3.

The firmware update, version 3.60, also introduces the ability for users to configure the timeout settings for when controllers switch themselves off during inactivity. But perhaps the most notable change, at least for those following the PS3 hacking saga, is that the latest update completely secures the console against those gaining unofficial access.

Sony makes no actual mention of this in its release notes, but the creator of the PS3 jailbreak 'PSFreedom' reckons the latest update has rectified Sony's previous "epic fails" with an "epic save". According to Youness Alaoui (KaKaRoToKS), Sony has found a way to secure the system without the need of the METLDR root key, which was posted online by fellow hacker Geohot. He added that the console may still be susceptible to hacks, but anyone attempting to do so will have to start from square one. He also assured its Twitter followers that he had no interest in re-hacking the PS3 himself.

Permalink to story.

Since the problem has been rectified, Sony's need for IP addresses becomes less of a prophylactic measure, and more of a retributive measure.

This would be a much better case for the EFF to spend its money on that defending music pirates. Stealing music is one thing, being "punished" for going to a web site is another. If the iPhone case can go to the Supreme Court, this one sure needs to.

Quit your whining about that stuff already. It's as simple as this, try not to be a wannbe hacker, try to stay away from the Scene, and you won't have any worries.
That's what gets me about all you people whining about Sony's case. Trying to be cool by thinking you're hacking something lolz.

Good for SONY! I knew they would find a way to rectify the hack for now. Unfortunately for Geo, he is now being made an example of... ! With such a bright future ahead of him before the PS3 hack...he could have just send his resume to SONY for a job instead of doing it illegally. Now his future is black-listed and is a total mess. That really sucks! But no sympathy here. Not every David wins against a Goliath!!!

Guest said:
Quit your whining about that stuff already. It's as simple as this, try not to be a wannbe hacker, try to stay away from the Scene, and you won't have any worries.
That's what gets me about all you people whining about Sony's case. Trying to be cool by thinking you're hacking something lolz.

The Scene <facepalm>

Is the PS3 really safe though or are they just claiming it? I know since they got Geohot's hardware they probably found a way to block exactly what he did but you never know, nothing is unhackable.

Dont be such a douche. If the hackers dont have Sony to **** with then they are just gonna start hacking your ***. Say goodbye to your hard drive *****.

Just sent this e-mail to Sony...;

Not a question... Just letting you know that I'm mo-fo-ing sick of your stupid updates. Get the hint, your system is vulnerable, child hackers are smarter than your security engineers, and even if your updates bubble to version 18,090,880,739,223.06, you will never beat the hackers, ever.

I have not jailbroken my system, and I don't intend to, even though i easily could, because your gaming console is a heaping pile of trash, but even though my system is legitimate, I have to download 18 freaking updates a month?

The hackers will never stop. They do it for fun, for the "lulz," if you will. This isn't their fault, it's YOUR fault. You released a device that was too easily compromised, and your feeble attempts to lock the door behind yourselves every week, is annoying the FVCK out me!

I have been a loyal playstation owner for over a decade, since PS1. But I'm done. It's over. This relationship is through. And you know what? It's not me, it's you.

I will soon be purchasing a brand new XBox360. I had resisted buying a 360, or even the original XBox because I was a LOYAL playstation fan. Well, I'm sick of seeing all friends, who jumped from PS2 to the XBox, with spectacular results, laugh in my face for sticking with you.

Their games are better. They have a wider selection. Their online play is better. And now, you are starting to charge users for premium online content- At one point, free online connectivity was your one and only saving grace. Well, now what do you have?

Nothing.

So screw you, and your crappy games and even worse system.

Screw the constant freezing. Screw the constant FORCED updates. Screw your horrible business model. I hope your company finally falls off the ledge you've been standing on for the last 5 years.

-A lost fan,
Nathan

Dont be such a douche. If the hackers dont have Sony to **** with then they are just gonna start hacking your ***. Say goodbye to your hard drive *****.

You're going to hack my hard drive cause I made fun of your pretentious post? Are you sure that's safe? I mean, someone of your skill is surely under Interpol and FBI surveillance. Better let me go, I'm not worth it. Save your skillz for a more important target.

Guest said:
Just sent this e-mail to Sony...;

Not a question... Just letting you know that I'm mo-fo-ing sick of your stupid updates. Get the hint, your system is vulnerable, child hackers are smarter than your security engineers, and even if your updates bubble to version 18,090,880,739,223.06, you will never beat the hackers, ever.

I have not jailbroken my system, and I don't intend to, even though i easily could, because your gaming console is a heaping pile of trash, but even though my system is legitimate, I have to download 18 freaking updates a month?

The hackers will never stop. They do it for fun, for the "lulz," if you will. This isn't their fault, it's YOUR fault. You released a device that was too easily compromised, and your feeble attempts to lock the door behind yourselves every week, is annoying the FVCK out me!

I have been a loyal playstation owner for over a decade, since PS1. But I'm done. It's over. This relationship is through. And you know what? It's not me, it's you.

I will soon be purchasing a brand new XBox360. I had resisted buying a 360, or even the original XBox because I was a LOYAL playstation fan. Well, I'm sick of seeing all friends, who jumped from PS2 to the XBox, with spectacular results, laugh in my face for sticking with you.

Their games are better. They have a wider selection. Their online play is better. And now, you are starting to charge users for premium online content- At one point, free online connectivity was your one and only saving grace. Well, now what do you have?

Nothing.

So screw you, and your crappy games and even worse system.

Screw the constant freezing. Screw the constant FORCED updates. Screw your horrible business model. I hope your company finally falls off the ledge you've been standing on for the last 5 years.

-A lost fan,
Nathan

I know how you feel. I'm sure that those 15 mins of download and install time absolutely ruin your whole playstation experience. I simply cant get over the fact that more features are being added - heresy I say! Sony need to sort themselves out and stop providing extra things for the end user at no extra cost. They are embarrassing themselves. And compare the lineup of games to the 360! I want another Halo game which is exactly the same as the one before. I want another rehash of a franchise fast running out of steam. Why the hell are Sony bothering with titles like littlebigplanet or heavy rain? We want the same, grey, brown shooters that he have had dozens of times before! Why haven't Sony been able to secure their system like Microsoft have done so very well right from launch?! And how dare you offer choices between free online play and some slight extra options for an optional fee? And you know what? Sony don't have the faintest idea of business models. They haven't, you know, turned profits for centuries!

yea great I spent 15 mins yesterday Downloading and installing this update and Im not going to EVER use it. Y you HAVE to install these updates in order to launch multiplayer games i don't no. Makes me angry.

It loads pretty slow, I'm downloading as I was typing this. Here where I am it is 8:30. It is still like 6%...

@Guest: (posting about install times) - You fail!

You posted at 8:31 saying you were at 6%
Then you posted at 8:32 and said you were done.

Sounds pretty fast to me.

Do you know how many people bricked their PS3's trying to download and install this unnecessary update just so they could keep playing games online?

Yeah, 3.60 had a minor upgrade, which is filling up my hard drive and will never be used, but what about the 12 updates before that, which only served the purpose of fixing their crappy security?

PS3 is the worst selling console for a clear and distinct reason... And if it wasn't for Gran Turismo, I never would have bought this 600 dollar paper weight.

Piece.
Of.

my console is almost 3.5 yrs old now, still going strong. it is the promary dvd player in the house, ONLY blu ray player in the house and the only gaming console, on top of that we barely just got cable, so before that it was all movies and or netflix streaming... so it has tons of use on it.

I have very fast internet so updates dont bother me at all when they only take a couple minutes usually...

I have a question though, if i subscribed to playstation plus for the online saves, can I copy "current" saves to the online storage? thats my biggest complaint is that I cant transfer a damn game save file from one user to another user on the SAME DAMN CONSOLE!!! at least not with my games.

first of all, i'm not a fan boy for any of the big 3, as i own all of them and play them from time to time and enjoy them. I'm also a bit of an old school gamer as i still have a nintendo, Snes, sega mega drive, saturn, dreamcast, n64 and so on. The only problem i have with sony is that when i buy some hardware from them, i own it. If i want to take it apart, i should be able to with out any trouble. As for updates to the systems, i do hate them as well. I do love when i plug in a n64 game and as soon as i power on the system, the game is ready to go, no updates to the system hardware, or game software. Simple, plug in and play. No downloading to a hard drive. I mean if i wanted all the updates, and to install a game to a hard drive, i would be a PC gamer, as this was a main reason to play on consoles. No need to update hardware, or software to play games. Long gone are the good old days. I hope the next round of consoles can get back to gaming and not try to be a multimedia unit, and if they can limit the updates or get rid of them, all the better.

yeah, I agree with all the fed up ps3 owners. I'm pretty ticked off myself. I don't really use my ps3 much. but when get excited about a new release, I think about the update for the system and the game that's waiting for me, if I do decide to buy it. one update took about an hour. as hightech as Sony touts themselves at being, they ultimately FAIL at end user experience.

Sony needs to desperately update their web browser its sooooo brutal . The flash players are WAY out of date , and it consistently freezes where I have to manually turn of the system . I remember when my PS3 used to work flawless before all this firmware update BS

Hi all, here's some questions for you. Maybe someone can shed some light onto this for me,
but isn't a console just like a pc? Should sony even bother with having any type of security on
its console? Shouldn't game manufacturers be concerned with making their software secure,
such as it is on any pc platform? I can mod my pc, my tech gadgets, why not my console?

What do y'all think?
~Bill~
Thx...

I want a good update for once, one that does something I'll use like ingame voice chatting or when I'm on the dashboard and a friend is in a game I'd like to talk to them that way.

And personalised gamer pic/avatars like you can do on steam etc and one other thing which I doubt they'll do is allow trophies to be disabled, I hate those pathetic waste of time things, just a copy of 360's achievements and they were a waste of time.They made people play badly in multiplayer games, they wouldn't just play a game because they liked it or were good at it, they'd JUST try to get achievements, pathetic.

The fact that Sony is making this a mandatory update, and not allowing me to use the machine that I purchased from them to watch a movie on a saturday night, until I perform this specific update which may compromise my ability to use my own media which is stored on the PS3, really is offensive. Not only are they announcing WHEN I sign in, for the first time, that I have an update, but then they are not giving me the requisite number of days that I would like to research the quirks and problems that it will inevitably cause. I have to update NOW, or be unable to use the machine? No time to plan the preventative measures or back-ups? Apparently.
**** move,Sony. Rude. I HATE when you mess with my weekends- I bought the goddamn PS3 to chillax, not to be clowned with with in my living room.
I should have kept the VCR.

who cares just upload ur PS3 its FREE already shizzz!!!!!!!! so much dramas!!!!!

I agree ... i hate those forced updates ... paying more than $300 for PS3 and Sony is forcing us to upgrade every time we go to PSN for playing, which really sucks.

I am planning to sell my PS3 on ebay and once it is sold, I will buy an Xbox.

Forced updates and restrictions on modifications are the future, i don't particularly like it but its just something we are all going to have to get use to :( :(

Back