PS4 continues to lead console market, Xbox One is catching up

Scorpus

Staff member

A new bunch of sales data for the current generation of consoles is in, and unsurprisingly, the PlayStation 4 still leads the Xbox One in global shipments. However, a strong fourth quarter of 2014 for Microsoft indicates that they are catching up in the console race.

Lifetime sales data for all three consoles, as compiled and analyzed by Ars Technica, shows the PS4 firmly in the lead with just shy of 20 million total worldwide shipments. The Xbox One follows with between 11 and 13 million shipments, and the Wii U in third place with 9.3 million shipments despite launching a year earlier.

While Sony has shipped roughly 66% more current-gen consoles than Microsoft in total, the Xbox One is catching up in recent quarters. Between October and December 2014, the critical holiday period, Sony shipped 6.4 million PS4s to Microsoft's 4.5-5.5 million Xbox Ones. Through this time period, the PS4 had a much narrower lead of around 30%.

Increased shipments and sales for Microsoft's console line up pretty well with decisions to cut its price. The Xbox One's price temporarily decreased to $349 through the 2014 holiday season, and again in January in an ongoing promotion. The previous price of the entry-level Xbox One SKU was identical to the current price of the PlayStation 4, at $399.

Sony has no plans to drop the price of their console to match the Xbox One, insisting that their $50 more expensive console is still the preferred choice of buyers and gamers. And they'd generally be right: the PS4 commands around 47% of the current-gen console market, with the Xbox One on around 31% and the Wii U trailing with a 22% share.

Permalink to story.

These console articles always feel irrelevant. % this, figures show... show nothing.
It feels like whom ever is first out the gate and leading after the first Christmas is the main thing. The Sheeple have spoken. PS4 by the looks of things.
After that you need to find out how many bored people thought, I will get myself an Xbox just cause.
With so many people over consuming because, basically thats all we have left to do on this earth is to horde as much crap into our little boxes as possible, its little wonder that the Xbox would eventually catch up. How many people have both, just because they have a need to consume, or they must be able to play those damn exclusives. I mean thats why they are nice enough to have exclusives, because they know *****s will buy both then, and possibly make even more money when they buy a 2 copies of the same game 1 for each console.

Which do they prefer and why would be more important as it would show where to make improvements for the next generation of consoles. Just looking at numbers and saying, look who is sooo great, only leaves them thinking they have done everything right, and we know that neither are perfect.

These console articles always feel irrelevant. % this, figures show... show nothing.
It feels like whom ever is first out the gate and leading after the first Christmas is the main thing. The Sheeple have spoken. PS4 by the looks of things.
After that you need to find out how many bored people thought, I will get myself an Xbox just cause.
With so many people over consuming because, basically thats all we have left to do on this earth is to horde as much crap into our little boxes as possible, its little wonder that the Xbox would eventually catch up. How many people have both, just because they have a need to consume, or they must be able to play those damn exclusives. I mean thats why they are nice enough to have exclusives, because they know *****s will buy both then, and possibly make even more money when they buy a 2 copies of the same game 1 for each console.

Which do they prefer and why would be more important as it would show where to make improvements for the next generation of consoles. Just looking at numbers and saying, look who is sooo great, only leaves them thinking they have done everything right, and we know that neither are perfect.

They do no such thing. Sales figures are used to determine the overall success of a product and its marketing, not give the companies delusions of product perfection. You're reading into this more than is there.

Eh, it's still early. The good games are only just starting to get out....

Its very early in the console life span to really make determinations on who will win. I think the market went a bit early into buying the consoles and have realized how little games there are (Minus multi system games) which has caused this change of pace. When games start hitting the scenes and the Xbox ONE has hit most of those recently with a lot of exclusives that is why you are getting an influx in buyers (On top of the reduced price). PS4 will have the same thing happens this year I have a feeling once a lot of the games they are showing off start hitting the shelves.

Still pretty hard to justify each console as someone who owns both. Neither really have many games (Exclusives) that are worth getting the console over. I have been dieing for Final Fantasy versus 13 (Now Final Fantasy 15) for PS4 for so long I am about to explode.

Still pretty hard to justify each console as someone who owns both. Neither really have many games (Exclusives) that are worth getting the console over. I have been dieing for Final Fantasy versus 13 (Now Final Fantasy 15) for PS4 for so long I am about to explode.

BLOODBORNE - PS4.

BLOODBORNE - PS4.

I played in the Beta. While Bloodborne nails its aesthetic, it is still just more of the same. It's a fun game but not likely to be a system seller.

I played in the Beta. While Bloodborne nails its aesthetic, it is still just more of the same. It's a fun game but not likely to be a system seller.

What?! You played the beta? I put in my request about a day after All Games Beta put up the link and never got a response. I'm jealous.

As for a system seller, nah, I don't think Bloodborne will be a major system mover, but I think it will move some. There are some diehard Souls players on the 360 that might be interested in picking up a PS4 just for that game.

But a game that will be a system seller will be SFV. This is akin to Square announcing that it was abandoning the Nintendo for the PlayStation as the new home of the Final Fantasy franchise.

What?! You played the beta? I put in my request about a day after All Games Beta put up the link and never got a response. I'm jealous.

Beta Alpha keys were handed out on the basis of trophy unlocks in Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Dark Souls II. I don't know what the threshold was, but I think I have 60-75% in each. I didn't even apply. They just sent me an Alpha invite via email, out of the blue. :p

As for a system seller, nah, I don't think Bloodborne will be a major system mover, but I think it will move some. There are some diehard Souls players on the 360 that might be interested in picking up a PS4 just for that game.

But a game that will be a system seller will be SFV. This is akin to Square announcing that it was abandoning the Nintendo for the PlayStation as the new home of the Final Fantasy franchise.

Agreed on both points.

I'm sure I'll be **** all over for saying this, but I got a Wii U and love it. It's a console I feel people don't give a chance as it's not the most powerful one on the market. I won't go in to why I love it, as people interested in the Wii U will look up the pros and cons for the system. I just feel people tend to forget about it. To me, the consoles are like cars. The Wii U may not be a fastest car, but it's a very smooth ride and enjoyable ride. I'll pick up a ps4 or xbone at some point, not sure what one I'll pick next, but until then, I'm a happy gamer.

I'm sure I'll be **** all over for saying this, but I got a Wii U and love it. It's a console I feel people don't give a chance as it's not the most powerful one on the market. I won't go in to why I love it, as people interested in the Wii U will look up the pros and cons for the system. I just feel people tend to forget about it. To me, the consoles are like cars. The Wii U may not be a fastest car, but it's a very smooth ride and enjoyable ride. I'll pick up a ps4 or xbone at some point, not sure what one I'll pick next, but until then, I'm a happy gamer.

I don't know why anyone would give you a hard time for liking the Wii U. But you deserve to be thrown out of a speeding van for comparing consoles to cars.

I think many buyers do that. They feel the need to justify their purchase. If their console sold more they think that means it's better. Or if it hasn't sold as many then that's because only real gamers are buying it or something.

Back