PS4 sales have passed 30 million worldwide: the fastest hardware growth in PlayStation history

midian182

Staff member

In the battle between the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One, it looks as if Sony’s machine is winning, at least when it comes to number of units sold. The company has just announced that worldwide sales of its console have passed the 30.2 million mark, giving it “the fastest and strongest growth in PlayStation hardware history.”

In March this year, it was reported that just over 20 million gamers had purchased a PS4 since its launch, meaning that the console has seen sales of around 1.25 million units a month up to this point. With Black Friday and the festive season quickly approaching, Sony expects to shift a further 17.5 million PlayStation 4s between now and the end of March 2016.

Sony’s big rival, Microsoft, hasn’t revealed any recent sales figures for its console. The last announcement the Redmond-based company made on Xbox One numbers was in November 2014, when Microsoft stated its machine had sold 10 million units worldwide.

VGChartz, which has unofficial sales figures for all consoles, puts the current Xbox One worldwide total at 15.59 million. Nintendo, Sony’s home country rival, is languishing behind both the tech giants; its Wii U console has sold 10.86 million units to date.

It’s worth pointing out, however, that the difference between sales of Xbox Ones and PS4s in North America isn't as huge, with Sony’s console outselling Microsoft’s machine by 1 million units. Moreover, US sales of Xbox Ones outpaced the PS4 for the first time last month, partly due to the release of Halo 5: Guardians.

The PS4 may boast the fastest growth in PlayStation hardware history, but it still has a way to go before its total sales numbers come close to those of the biggest selling console of all time – the PlayStation 2, which sold over 155 million units worldwide.

“Gamers across the globe have continued to choose PS4 as the best place to play since launch two years ago," President and Global CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc., Andrew House, said in a statement."Thanks to the support of our partners, PS4 continues to be the premier platform for games and interactive entertainment innovation.”

With both manufacturers slashing the price of their consoles over the upcoming sales period, it’ll be interesting to see if the PS4 stays ahead of the Xbox One in the US market. But when it comes to number of units sold worldwide, it looks as if Microsoft has a lot of catching up to do.

Permalink to story.

Microsoft deserves this butt whooping. Seriously.

The sad part is, Microsoft has the hardware, know how and partners to make a great console. Instead they cheaped out on the controllers, hardware, and didn't modify their Live subscriptions to accommodate users.

1) Headset's are buggy
2) Controller is cheap
3) Hardware is cheap (seriously what where they thinking! cmon man!)
4) Kinect is buggy, minimal game selection
5) Collection issues, movies can 'dissapear'
6) No HDD Upgrade options
7) No USB support (YOUR FRICKING MICROSOFT, cmon man)
8) Go Live or Go Home, hey atleast we can watch Netflix with Silver...3 years later.
9) Interface (new update is a little better I will admit, still clunky though)
10) $400 and a 500GB harddrive? Every X1 should have nothing less then 1TB. I have 4-5 games on my X1, I am using over half of my 500GB.
11) The console is HUGE and STILL has a HUGE external PSU.
12) Compressed audio? Its 2015!

And these are just a few.
I got a NIB X1 for $200 from a buddy who won it and he couldn't give that thing away. I just wanted a new console and I am cheap, but honestly, $200 is what this thing should cost. The 360S is a much better console, how they went from that to this just astounds me.

"Thanks to the support of our partners, PS4 continues to be the premier platform for games and interactive entertainment innovation.”

That last part, interactive entertainment innovation, what exactly is being referred to here. What the hell do they think they innovated entertainment wise, most of these so called "innovations" were present on the previous console, and in fact things that were innovative on the PS3 got removed from the PS4. All these paid for streaming services are not innovative, not when they are available elsewhere... It would have been a better idea to be innovative in your gaming segment, the one that matters for a gaming console, not turn it into an xbox clone with too many useless features and junk that clutters up and distracts from the true purpose of the machine in the first place.

"Thanks to the support of our partners, PS4 continues to be the premier platform for games and interactive entertainment innovation.”

That last part, interactive entertainment innovation, what exactly is being referred to here. What the hell do they think they innovated entertainment wise, most of these so called "innovations" were present on the previous console, and in fact things that were innovative on the PS3 got removed from the PS4. All these paid for streaming services are not innovative, not when they are available elsewhere... It would have been a better idea to be innovative in your gaming segment, the one that matters for a gaming console, not turn it into an xbox clone with too many useless features and junk that clutters up and distracts from the true purpose of the machine in the first place.
pretty sure nothing clutters and distracts on a console that is mainly used for gaming. what? is there an app distracting you from putting the disc in and playing? at least have legit reason to troll.
and yes, playstation innovated a lot in the console industry.

and yes, playstation innovated a lot in the console industry.

What was innovative this generation? The PS3 had more innovation and more game oriented features at launch then the PS4 has currently, it had the Blu-ray drive, it was 100% backwards compatible (sadly this was taken away), you didn't need some bullshit subscription, linux could be installed on the machine, media streaming over LAN, exclusives worth buying. And what did the PS4 do that was so innovative?

I never said Sony hasn't been innovative with their consoles, just that this one has the least innovation going for it than any of their previous consoles relative to said previous console.

pretty sure nothing clutters and distracts on a console that is mainly used for gaming. what?

The whole interface is just annoying to use, things aren't coherent and back when I was using it the messaging system barely work half the time. The start page showing you crap that I don't need/want, all these extra tabs for bullshit I don't need/want, and oh wait here's another paid for streaming service that needs another tab for ****s sake...

Last edited:
What was innovative this generation? The PS3 had more innovation and more game oriented features at launch then the PS4 has currently, it had the Blu-ray drive, it was 100% backwards compatible (sadly this was taken away), you didn't need some bullshit subscription, linux could be installed on the machine, media streaming over LAN, exclusives worth buying. And what did the PS4 do that was so innovative?

I never said Sony hasn't been innovative with their consoles, just that this one has the least innovation going for it than any of their previous consoles relative to said previous console.

The whole interface is just annoying to use, things aren't coherent and back when I was using it the messaging system barely work half the time. The start page showing you crap that I don't need/want, all these extra tabs for bullshit I don't need/want, and oh wait here's another paid for streaming service that needs another tab for ****s sake...
they are the first to use async shaders on consoles. they are the first to develop VR for consoles, they improved the controller immensely, they made a viable game streaming service that actually works. and there are plenty of other things they did or are doing.
as for the interface, it's sleek, fast and works great. your opinion on it is biased at best.

people would actually take you seriously if you didn't sound like a childish fanboy, you remind me of some kid raging while playing cs:go or lol.

they are the first to use async shaders on consoles.

This is part of the hardware AMD developed, I don't see how Sony using it makes them innovative, they'd be foolish not to.

they are the first to develop VR for consoles

It's not available yet so lets just wait and see how that goes.

they improved the controller immensely

Long overdue, a controller that doesn't last a whole day of gaming is not innovative.

they made a viable game streaming service that actually works

Game streaming is BS, it's not innovative, and in fact was around before Sony, who coincidentally bought out one of those early companies developing it. I've used it, not impressed, there's still latency issues.

and there are plenty of other things they did or are doing.

Most of what you listed was nominal at best or just good practice, nothing terribly innovative. But you seem to know of more things that no body else does...

as for the interface, it's sleek, fast and works great. your opinion on it is biased at best.

But it's my OPINION, and I don't see how it's biased, please elaborate, I've owned every Sony console, portable, ect, I think I have a pretty good feel for these things and what to expect from an interface by now. The PS4 is the first one I didn't want to keep because it was so disappointing.

people would actually take you seriously if you didn't sound like a childish fanboy, you remind me of some kid raging while playing cs:go or lol.

I'd take you seriously, but I'd rather pick apart your horrible list of "features" that seem to be selling points in some bizarre world you live in. But right, I'm the fanboy? Maybe look in the mirror.

This is part of the hardware AMD developed, I don't see how Sony using it makes them innovative, they'd be foolish not to.

It's not available yet so lets just wait and see how that goes.

Long overdue, a controller that doesn't last a whole day of gaming is not innovative.

Game streaming is BS, it's not innovative, and in fact was around before Sony, who coincidentally bought out one of those early companies developing it. I've used it, not impressed, there's still latency issues.

Most of what you listed was nominal at best or just good practice, nothing terribly innovative. But you seem to know of more things that no body else does...

But it's my OPINION, and I don't see how it's biased, please elaborate, I've owned every Sony console, portable, ect, I think I have a pretty good feel for these things and what to expect from an interface by now. The PS4 is the first one I didn't want to keep because it was so disappointing.

I'd take you seriously, but I'd rather pick apart your horrible list of "features" that seem to be selling points in some bizarre world you live in. But right, I'm the fanboy? Maybe look in the mirror.
you just proved my point. how do you win arguments when you lack logic? do you always lose them this hard? so embarrassing.
you deny the improvements they made compared to last gen and focus on the 1 or 2 things that you don't like (which are actually considered good by most people). what next? are you going to tell me you don't like the fact that the console is slanted? so funny.

I haven't won an argument this hard ever since someone tried to convince me that flu shots cause autism.

I haven't won an argument this hard ever since someone tried to convince me that flu shots cause autism.

Ran out of things to discuss eh? Do you always win this hard at the internet? I know you must feel accomplished, having won "hard" like this, must be easy when you declare yourself the victor. But hey, you can acknowledge whatever you please, reality is what you make of it after all, or at least that's how it appears looking in to your sad little world where you feel the need to win "hard" at arguments so insignificant to everyone else. It's okay, you can award yourself a trophy and hold a private ceremony and invite no one. I've already passed my judgment, you can only improve from here on out.

Microsoft deserves this butt whooping. Seriously.

The sad part is, Microsoft has the hardware, know how and partners to make a great console. Instead they cheaped out on the controllers, hardware, and didn't modify their Live subscriptions to accommodate users.

1) Headset's are buggy
2) Controller is cheap
3) Hardware is cheap (seriously what where they thinking! cmon man!)
4) Kinect is buggy, minimal game selection
5) Collection issues, movies can 'dissapear'
6) No HDD Upgrade options
7) No USB support (YOUR FRICKING MICROSOFT, cmon man)
8) Go Live or Go Home, hey atleast we can watch Netflix with Silver...3 years later.
9) Interface (new update is a little better I will admit, still clunky though)
10) $400 and a 500GB harddrive? Every X1 should have nothing less then 1TB. I have 4-5 games on my X1, I am using over half of my 500GB.
11) The console is HUGE and STILL has a HUGE external PSU.
12) Compressed audio? Its 2015!

And these are just a few.
I got a NIB X1 for $200 from a buddy who won it and he couldn't give that thing away. I just wanted a new console and I am cheap, but honestly, $200 is what this thing should cost. The 360S is a much better console, how they went from that to this just astounds me.
Agree. It`s the most grounded and logical explanation of the last Playstation`s cost. There is an amount of alternatives of PlayStation and XBox, for example PS Vita, that has practically the same characteristics but costs much cheaper, or the NVidia Project Shield hands-on..or at the end the newest Nintendo Wii-U...

Back