PSU problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

generalelektric

I am building a pc so I am gathering parts as I earn the money. I have already bought a motherboard of which I know that works ( tested it with other psu ). I have have a case which is also new. But my latest part is having troubles. The psu, it turns on for about a second then shuts off. My cases fan starts spinning and so does the psu's.

Please help me I'm not sure what to do

is this a existing machine you are upgrading? or just testing the few parts you have? list what you are working with either way please.

The psu gets its signal to start from the bios, if you are just plugging in the psu to a MB with no CPU (or anything else like it sensing a cpu fan) it may well shut down immediately. unless i am misunderstanding what you are doing here.

I was wondering if I had to have a CPU installed to turn the computer on. In fact I was just searching the web for information about that but found nothing such. But as I don't have a CPU currently installed I cannot turn on the computer. Well ok I guess I will make the CPU next on my list of parts to buy. But wait I did have another psu able to load but it is an older sort. Will my computer not turn on because of newer technologies and safeguards?

That's entirely possible, if it does not sense a cpu fan running it can shut it down as a cpu will burn up in seconds without cooling.also shuts down supplying power to a cpu socket that has no cpu in it. It depends on how the bios is set, but that would be my assessment and the first thing i would check.

Turns out you were right. I did not buy a CPU yet but i have a spare CPU fan. I plugged the fan in and turned on the computer without a problem. Thanks so much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back