PSU Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy06shake

Im about to purchase an XFX GeForce GTX 275 XXX 896MB GDDR3 Dual DVI/HDTV Out PCI-E GFX card. Can anyone recomend a suitable PSU to power this card? Preferably one that has 40-50amps on the 12v rail. My specs E8500 3.16Ghz, ASUS P5N32-E SLI, ASUS EN9600GT, 4Gb DDR2 667Mhz, Artic Frezzer Pro 7

As long as you stick with one video card any of these should be sufficient:
Corsair 650w $100
Seasonic 650w $85
Antec TP-650 650w $100
If you ever plan on running Multible cards these would be better choices:
Corsair 850w $130 (one of the cheapest good 850w PSUs but it lacks modular cables so clutter could be an issue)
Antec TPQ-850 850w (modular) $150 (I currently have one of these, Exelent PSU, resonibly quiet[can't hear it over my 120mm CPU fan and that isn't verry loud either], cool,reliable,stable, modular design eliminates most of the cable clutter)
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 910w $190 (Good PSUs but all the reviews I've read say they are noisey despite the "silencer" name. So If noise is an issue you may not want one of these, again not modular)

Avalibility and price of theses PSUs may verry (I believe most of them should be avalible)in Glasgow (I'm not overly firmiliar with UK retailers, other members may be more help in provideing links to those sites)

We second dMill89 on the Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and the Seasonic... but we have learned through bitter experience not to turst the Antec. The start out quiet and end up noisy... and their failure rate shows they can be unreliable. We don't find the noise in the PC Power and Cooling to be problematic... they are rugged, and they last... noise is from the fan pulling a lot of air out of the case...
We have not seen any of these three fail, but we have seen problems with the Antec.

I highly recommend the Corsair 650TX for a single card setup, and all of the other PSUs dmill89 has recommended for dual-GPU setups. The Silencer 910 is an especially great choice, being "80 PLUS Silver" certified, indicating a minimum efficiency of 85%, which will save you money on your power bill on the long run and keep the PSU running cooler, since a higher efficiency means less power wasted as heat.

mushkin 550300 800W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply.

$149.99

A bit pricey but worth it. Especially cuz it's modular and efficient.

Cuz i'm still a noob on this site i can't link anything yet. just go to newegg and type in the psu and look at the pretty pic. One thing they neglect to mention is that it glows green inside the fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back