PUBG Corp. drops suit against Epic Games over Fortnite

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds developer PUBG Corp. has dropped its lawsuit against Fortnite creator Epic Games, bringing an end to a legal battle involving two of the world’s most popular video games.

PUBG Corp. sent a letter of withdrawal to Epic’s attorneys on Monday and the case has since been closed according to the website of the local South Korean court system. PUBG Corp. and its lawyers confirmed the action with Bloomberg but didn’t cite a reason for dropping the suit or comment on whether or not a private settlement had been reached.

Both firms are partly owned by Chinese media conglomerate Tencent, a fact that may have played into the suit’s dismissal. PUBG also uses the Unreal Engine 4, a game engine developed by Epic.

PUBG developer Bluehole expressed concerns last September that Fortnite may be replicating the experience for which PUBG is known for with its battle royale mode. This really riled up the gaming community, sparking debates regarding whether or not a game mode or play experience can be protected by copyright and thus, not interpreted and presented in other games.

All of this is happening in the backdrop as PUGB, which skyrocketed in popularity late last year, has seen its player count dwindle significantly in recent months as rival Fortnite hits its stride. In April, Fortnite reportedly cleared $296 million in revenue from in-game purchases.

Permalink to story.

There's really only so much replay-ability with battle royale games. There's really no reward.

...what, PUBG skins you say? You say you can sell skins on Steam? What!? You could have just not purchased the game in the first place and saved much more money!

Fortnite skins, what a joke... the whole battle pass is a joke. I don't understand why people buy into it.

If it doesnt effect stats or gameplay, it's just a skin... who the **** cares... arent we suppose to ignore skin (color)!? lmao

I am burned out on this Battle Royale stuff. I used to like PUBG, but it just became boring for me. I could never get into Fortnite. It's just not for me. I thought this lawsuit was dumb from the beginning simply because the game runs on Unreal 4. I'm not sure how gaming license work in terms of using a companies gaming engine, but I wouldn't be surprised if Epic Games threatened to revoke their Unreal 4 license.

Back