Purposefully causing processes to stop responding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I'm new here and I hope soon to be able to contribute actively and help others :)

I'd like to know how to get a process to stop responding/encounter an error intentionally.

I'd like to do this to be able to end access-restricted processes. I have on some occassions accidentally caused processes to stop working and thereby stop completely, whereas I wouldn't be able to stop them normally as access is denied by the system.

I have tried using 3rd party task managers and all that, but nothing works.

Do you guys happen to know of a way to do this?

Thanks in advance

What kind of "access-restricted processes" are you referring to?
What kind of 'access' are you referring to?
How have you 'accidentally' caused them to stop working?
What type of account do you have on the operating system.
What is the operating system? Windows XP? Vista?

Hi Bobbye,

There is no specific process I'm referring to, it's just that some processes cannot be stopped trying to end them through task manager or third party task managers. It's sometimes windows stuff, although much of the time it's silly third party software processes that run in the background without permission.

When I say access is denied, I mean when I try to end the process, that's the message I get.

I can't remember specifically how I got them to stop working, but I know that other programs have had an impact at times and caused them to stop responding. I honestly can't remember anything specific at the moment.

I have an unrestricted user account on the Windows XP system I'm referring to. Sorry I didn't mention that earlier.

Sorry, but your information is still to vague to help. I have no idea of what kind of 'processes' you're wanting to shut down or why.

I understand that you say you have an unrestricted user account, but the message is saying you don't. So until or unless you give us some idea of what you are wanting to do, I can't help.

The processes in the Task Manager are there from the OS, the Startup programs, Services. Most can be controlled through the msconfig utility Startup menu and/or putting some Services on Manual. However these changes need to be done under the Administrative account.

Assuming Windows NT Based ...

"Access Restricted" => SYSTEM / LOCAL SERVICE / NETWORK SERVICE.

Can't be anything else unless the Account type is not in the Administrator Group which would prevent Terminating other Users Process.

The stuff that generally shouldn't be touched unless you know the Command Line which started that Service as to weather it is needed or not...

If you really want to Kill a Process...
Go look up Windows API on MSDN,
sit down with a Mug of Brew,
and a Compiler for your Language choice.

Jim,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back