Putting in a new PSU

Ok, so I'm trying to fix a computer that had a blown psu, the computer is an emachine et1831-07. I couldn't find a PSU for that specific computer so I asked a friend for help, because I had the feeling not all 250 watt PSU are the same, there have to be differences, however this friend said they are mostly universal and told me to order this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8U24RK6130&Tpk=9SIA8U24RK6130

However it is 20 pin instead of 24 pin like the motherboard in the computer, also no sata connectors for HD or DVD/CD drive, just molex.

I read you can sometimes make the 20 pin work with a 24 pin motherboard, but is there any way to make this PSU work for the computer or should I return it and if so, can someone tell me some PSUs that would be good for this computer?

Ok, so I'm trying to fix a computer that had a blown psu, the computer is an emachine et1831-07. I couldn't find a PSU for that specific computer so I asked a friend for help, because I had the feeling not all 250 watt PSU are the same, there have to be differences, however this friend said they are mostly universal and told me to order this -
Well, that eMachines does indeed have an ATX PSU in it. The wattage of the replacement doesn't matter. I say that because you'd be better off with a higher wattage supply, and 250's are more difficult to find than those in the 350 to 400 watt range. Antec and SeaSonic are very reputable brands. As opposed to cheaping out on a refurbished unit, I'd spring for this Antec "Earthwatts 380D" :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033&ignorebbr=1 It's only about 12 bucks more.

A cautionary tale. Once upon a time eMachines had 250 watt PSU's which when they failed, took out the mother board along with it. This issue is pretty well documented. However that was circa 10 years ago. I haven't the most remote idea if that still holds true in their later models such as yours.

The Antec PSU I linked would have a 24 pin plug, but there is a break-away section to reduce it to 20 pins. IIRC, that would only be necessary for very old boards.

Back