QNAP TS-412 Turbo NAS Review

Thank you for this review. I am in the market for a NAS and HDDs to store my BDs on and this NAS might be a candidate. So I would very much appreciate it if you would ask Qnap to answer some questions and also make more measurements on the TS-412 with the home entertainment application in mind.

I want to understand the TS-412's characteristics in RAID 5 mode. More particularly, I would like to know its characteristics in RAID 5 when packed with four WD30EZRX drives. This NAS system configuration would allow storage of approximately 250 BDs for about $1150, here in the USA, a cost of $4.00 each to store'em and serve'em. Damn high, but as good as we can expect until 4 TB drives come on to drive the 3 TB HDD price down, which is being delayed by TI-Miho's earthquake troubles. This compares to $5.00 per BD if using the smaller 2 TB drives.

By the way, for me to spring for the HD-412, $600 in HDDs and $80 for a used APC UPS, Qnap would have to belly up to the bar and say expressly and absolutely officially that the WD30EZRX HDDs would work in the TS-412 in RAID 5 mode. Will they do that or will they slither back into their TW shell? Maybe you can get the answer. I won't even start if I have to use 5-platter, 7200 RPM HDDs to reach 3 TB per HDD. I'll bet you could talk WD into providing you the drives for testing. After all, this could be a pretty good size market for WD's mammoth drives. And they could leverage it into a leg up on Seagate which is currently offering only 5-platter 7200 RPM 3 TBs.

Anyway, cutting to the chase, the following technical issues are very important to me and I would much appreciate your effort in measuring:

1. The number of BD MKV streams that the TS-412 will simultaneously serve using four WD30EZRX HDDs in RAID 5 on a wired 1 Gbps LAN with Win 7 clients running VLC Player.

2. The amount of AC power drawn by the TS-412 when operating under the conditions of question 1.

3. The amount of AC power drawn by the TS-412 when serving a single BD MKV stream over a 1 Gbps LAN to a Win 7 client running VLC Player.

4. The amount of AC power drawn by the TS-412 when serving no BD MKV streams.

5. The amount of noise the TS-412 makes when serving its maximum number of BD MKV streams.

6. The amount of noise the TS-412 makes when serving a single BD MKV stream.

7. The amount of noise the TS-412 makes when serving no BD MKV streams.

Orville

Great review. Just recently purchased my first NAS server, went the Synology DS211j but was strongly considering QNap as well. Good reference material if I decide to upgrade somewhere down the line.

I've had a couple myself, and now have the 459Pro. I will probably never buy another NAS solution except for QNAP. They aren't cheap though, but you can load up 4x 3TB drives in RAID5 and that will last you a few years. For me: well worth the investment, as long as you take advantage of the features. If all you do is use it for a file server, there are cheaper alternatives.

I dont know where you are buying your disks orville, but everywhere I look in the UK, 2tb is still the sweet spot for GB/GBP.

2tb @ 50-60
3tb @120+

No maths degree required ... sadly tho six bay NAS are really expensive, as they are considered the province of the SMB. This is where the lopower PC system comes into its own, plus you can recycle parts you have already paid for (1x350m1, 2gb ram, case PS) could all be done for £200 (just).+FREENAS

Can you install less than 4 drives in raid-5 and expand the number of disks in the array dynamically?

Why did you benchmark with Western Digital Blues for the QNAP, while everything else was benchmarked with Western Digital Blacks? I would imagine that affected the benchmark speeds in a non-trivial way.

Back