Quad-core AMD Ryzen 3 CPUs to start at just $109

Jos

Staff

AMD had some news to share yesterday regarding its enthusiast-grade Threadripper CPUs as well as the budget-focused Ryzen 3 at the other end of the spectrum. While we now know specs and pricing for their range topping CPUs, the company left out pricing details for Ryzen 3.

If a recent leak is to be believed, however, the lineup is set to start at just $109 for the Ryzen 3 1200 and $129 for the 1300X. That’s incredibly good value considering that — at least on paper — the chips are in Core i5 territory in terms of compute performance.

As a refresher, the lower end Ryzen 3 1200 features base and boost frequencies of 3.1GHz and 3.4GHz, while the 1300X features base and boost frequencies of 3.5GHz and 3.7GHz. They both pack four cores and four threads (no SMT support) and will fit into current AM4 motherboards. Moreover, unlike Intel’s counterparts, AMD’s entire lineup is overclockable, opening up the potential for even better value for budget builders — it remains to be seen how well they overclock, though.

The leak came from a poster on reddit — first spotted by Wccftech and reported by Forbes — who claims to have obtained the information from a distributor in his country. We won’t have to wait much longer to see if the information check out as Ryzen 3 is slated to arrive on July 27.

In the meantime look out for our Ryzen 3 preview next week. We'll tweak current Ryzen chips to match the specifications of the upcoming budget processors and simulate their performance so you can know what to expect ahead of release.

Permalink to story.

Again the ryzen 3 1200 will be the crown jewel of the budget CPUs after destroying the i5/i7 with the 1600 AMD is looking to do it again
im just glad AMD is not doing that stupid dual core for gaming like intel did with the pentium. it was ok for gaming, but you could not multi task without choking it.

I think that in the entry level chips -- base 4/core units -- I.e. like Ryzen 3 Core I3 -- AMD/APU -- we are likely to prefer integrated graphics

at the Ryzen 3 level I'd be tempted to just use an APU. The are commonly available with 4 cores at around 3.5 GHZ -- WITH integrated graphics. which is plenty -- unless you are into programs that require high speed graphics -- games, perhaps.

What the hell is going on over at AMD?! How do you not reveal price two weeks from launch? I could understand if they had chips in that category already, but they don't.

My motto for the last few years for AMD has been, when AMD is quiet, you should worry. I'm not saying these chips will be double the leaked price, but something fishy is going on over there.

What the hell is going on over at AMD?! How do you not reveal price two weeks from launch? I could understand if they had chips in that category already, but they don't.

There is no incentive to give Intel a two week heads up. Consumers will still buy it if they want to or they won't regardless of whether pricing is released in advance or not.

Again the ryzen 3 1200 will be the crown jewel of the budget CPUs after destroying the i5/i7 with the 1600 AMD is looking to do it again

Roflmao.
Ryzen is not destroying anything if you are the average end user, which is 80% of us. The reduced prices and constant sales across the entire Ryzen lineup a couple months after launch proves it. No one buying an i5 or i7 and uses primarily ST apps are going to settle for an R3 or R5 part. The same reason people bought i5 and i7 Sandy Bridge over Bulldozer. Bulldozer wasn't the best in gaming and ST apps, but faired better in multi-threaded applications. Ryzen is more or less a rinse and repeat.

People with an i3 or i5 are gaming at <=1080p and that is NOT Ryzen's forte. AMD's Cinebench and 4K demos proves it. Heavy MT workloads and 4K gaming (even 1440p gaming) are not the bigger market. AMD needed something for everyone, but they didn't bring it.

I was trying to convince myself to build a 1600X machine, but at my resolution of 1080p (the dominant resolution), it just didn't make sense.

If you're not a photo/video editor or streamer, you're better of with Intel. If you just want to browse and watch YouTube, an R3 could be great, but those clock speeds put them in a tight spot, because the vast majority of people buying a $100 part, aren't going to be overclocking - at all.

Ryzen isn't ready for the majority yet.

Last edited:
There is no incentive to give Intel a two week heads up. Consumers will still buy it if they want to or they won't regardless of whether pricing is released in advance or not.

Wow....
The point of the announcement wasn't for Intel, it's to tell CONSUMERS what's coming and how much it will cost. And if I'm a consumer and details are missing, I'm going to at the very least wonder why.

Didn't want to tip off Intel he says... wow. Intel doesn't drop prices so what would it have changed, hmm?

"hahahanoobs", out of curiosity, how much is Intel paying you to sit and babble about their competition? Did you at least get a new Honda Insight out of the deal? Chevy Volt, to increase the smug?

These AMD chips are great, both on-paper and in-use. Even if you won't use one they're great for making Intel lower their prices AND release new tech, faster. I've seen you complain in several threads now about contrived issues and imaginary flaws with the smaller company, and it's just pathetic. We get it. You like to spend more money for less. And nobody around here would be surprised where that money comes from, you're so transparent. #GhostRecon

"hahahanoobs", out of curiosity, how much is Intel paying you to sit and babble about their competition? Did you at least get a new Honda Insight out of the deal? Chevy Volt, to increase the smug?

These AMD chips are great, both on-paper and in-use. Even if you won't use one they're great for making Intel lower their prices AND release new tech, faster. I've seen you complain in several threads now about contrived issues and imaginary flaws with the smaller company, and it's just pathetic. We get it. You like to spend more money for less. And nobody around here would be surprised where that money comes from, you're so transparent. #GhostRecon

Ouch! Toilet paper hahahanoobs?

"The leak came from a poster on reddit — first spotted by Wccftech and reported by Forbes — who claims to have obtained the information from a distributor in his country. We won’t have to wait much longer to see if the information check out as Ryzen 3 is slated to arrive on July 27".

So then, we're dealing with , at minimum, 5th hand information? Jus' sayin'....:D

A very good little chips for budget OEM machines but people that would buy it for a gaming rig would be wasting their money I guess. without the benefit of SMT, Ryzens are a very mediocore performing CPU.

Roflmao.
Ryzen is not destroying anything if you are the average end user, which is 80% of us. The reduced prices and constant sales across the entire Ryzen lineup a couple months after launch proves it. No one buying an i5 or i7 and uses primarily ST apps are going to settle for an R3 or R5 part. The same reason people bought i5 and i7 Sandy Bridge over Bulldozer. Bulldozer wasn't the best in gaming and ST apps, but faired better in multi-threaded applications. Ryzen is more or less a rinse and repeat.

People with an i3 or i5 are gaming at <=1080p and that is NOT Ryzen's forte. AMD's Cinebench and 4K demos proves it. Heavy MT workloads and 4K gaming (even 1440p gaming) are not the bigger market. AMD needed something for everyone, but they didn't bring it.

I was trying to convince myself to build a 1600X machine, but at my resolution of 1080p (the dominant resolution), it just didn't make sense.

If you're not a photo/video editor or streamer, you're better of with Intel. If you just want to browse and watch YouTube, an R3 could be great, but those clock speeds put them in a tight spot, because the vast majority of people buying a $100 part, aren't going to be overclocking - at all.

Ryzen isn't ready for the majority yet.
actually the ryzen is doing damage to intels line up. people are no longer buying the i5's for gaming. intel sales have dropped 5% to 7% since the launch. also why buy a 4 core i5 when for a few more bucks you can get a 6 core with 12 threads.

Back