Question about Comodo blocking access to a site

Doug8765

Hi -
I'm trying to click on a link to a Parkinson's Disease discussion. When I do, I get blocked by Comodo - see picture attached - as an unsafe web address. It seems to happen a lot for this HealthUnlocked site. The thing is, and I'd be glad to be educated here, I don't believe that I'm running Comodo on my computer. It does not show up in my tray and it does not show up in my list of installed applications. So how is it blocking my access to this site?

I did use to run Comodo a couple years ago.

I always appreciate the help I get here on TechSpot.

Doug

Attachments

• Comodo blocking of HealthUnlocked 29Jan2018.png
    Comodo blocking of HealthUnlocked 29Jan2018.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 0
Does Comodo show up in your Taskbar after the message pops up ?
If so, right click it & click Properties.
It's location should be in the Properties window.
Or search for it in File Explorer or Charms Bar.

Or if it shows up in Task Manager after the message pops up right click it & choose open file location or properties.
screenshot_24.jpg

Comodo NEVER showed up in the task bar - - it was only visible in the Services.

Apparently, the Secure DNS feature was also installed when you were running Comodo.
  1. look in the Programs & Features to see if it's there; if so just uninstall it
  2. otherwise, we'll need to hack the Registry to disable the AutoRun

Does Comodo show up in your Taskbar after the message pops up ?
If so, right click it & click Properties.
It's location should be in the Properties window.
Or search for it in File Explorer or Charms Bar.

Hi DavidBailey -
Comodo does not show up in my TaskBar after the message shows up. The message box that shows doesn't react to right-mouse clicks, except the bottom where it
shows "Contact Us | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy | Legal Repository | Site Map".
All those links take the browser to the Comodo website.

The browser address shows this long address:
http://securedns.comodo.com/main?Pa...ClientLocation=xx&PlatformInfo=DNSA&msgID1=13

When I type "comodo" into the search bar for (what I believe is called "cortana") then there is only a single file called lps_migration_tool_3.3.246095.64.exe, dated 11/14/2012, in a directory called Users\Public\Documents\COMODO\binaries

Doug

Or if it shows up in Task Manager after the message pops up right click it & choose open file location or properties.
screenshot_24.jpg
Hi DavidBailey -

Comodo does NOT show up in Task Manager. Avast shows up in Background Processes, but not Comodo. I looked through the whole list, thinking that maybe it was listed under some publisher's name, but could not find it.

As far as I can tell there's nothing on my computer that is running Comodo, yet somehow Comodo is blocking my access to a website that deals with Parkinson's Disease discussion.

I must be missing something.

Doug

Comodo NEVER showed up in the task bar - - it was only visible in the Services.

Apparently, the Secure DNS feature was also installed when you were running Comodo.
  1. look in the Programs & Features to see if it's there; if so just uninstall it
  2. otherwise, we'll need to hack the Registry to disable the AutoRun
Hi JOBeard -
You've been helpful in the past, thank you.

I just now went through the list of "Apps & Features" in Windows 10. That's what the "Programs & Features" is called in Windows 10. There's nothing anywhere in that list of apps that has the word "Comodo". Avast is there.

Is there any way to look in the Registry to see if Comodo is in there with AutoRun enabled? I've learned through painful mistakes that the Registry is very sensitive to touching it. Even if there is an enabled AutoRun, doesn't there need to be an application somewhere on my computer?

I mentioned in another reply to this post that when I type "comodo" into the search bar for (what I believe is called "cortana") then there is only a single file called lps_migration_tool_3.3.246095.64.exe, dated 11/14/2012, in a directory called Users\Public\Documents\COMODO\binaries. Can I safely delete that file?

Doug

Hello DavidBailey -
That tip for removing ComodoSecureDNS from my internet settings does not appear to be Windows 10. I don't see that starting dialogue, unless I'm looking in the wrong place. My tray has an image of an airplane for the network and internet settings and it brings up the Edge browser's interface for Network and Internet properties, which appears to depend on Windows Defender. I don't use Windows Defender, so I am reluctant to start changing properties when I am clueless about mucking around.

By the way, what is the Charms bar?

I'm going to go to the Comodo website and see if they have suggestions for removing this block.

Doug

Hi JOBeard -
You've been helpful in the past, thank you.

Is there any way to look in the Registry to see if Comodo is in there with AutoRun enabled? I've learned through painful mistakes that the Registry is very sensitive to touching it. Even if there is an enabled AutoRun, doesn't there need to be an application somewhere on my computer?
I've always used Spybot S&D to control startups.

Run as admin and the look for Startup Tools; click it
There are several TABS; two of interest.
  1. Autorun
  2. Advanced Startup
Click on Autorun and then on the ICON BAR, EXPAND
Things with [x] are active and those shown empty [ ] are inactive.
Read very row under the DATA Column, looking for **COMODO** of any description. If it's [x] active, deselect it and move on.

When done, just click on the Process List to finalize and ensure your last alteration is seen and then you can just QUIT the application. When you restart, your changes will take effect

Hello DavidBailey -
That tip for removing ComodoSecureDNS from my internet settings does not appear to be Windows 10. I don't see that starting dialogue, unless I'm looking in the wrong place. My tray has an image of an airplane for the network and internet settings and it brings up the Edge browser's interface for Network and Internet properties, which appears to depend on Windows Defender. I don't use Windows Defender, so I am reluctant to start changing properties when I am clueless about mucking around.

By the way, what is the Charms bar?

I'm going to go to the Comodo website and see if they have suggestions for removing this block.

Doug

Try this link---
I assume you use an ethernet connection--

https://idoc.vsb.cz/xwiki/bin/view/tuonet/sit-nastaveni/tcp-ip/tcp-ip-win10/?language=en

Charms Bar---
Missing in W10---

https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/where-is-the-charms-bar-in-windows-10/

I'm done here. :)

I've always used Spybot S&D to control startups.

Run as admin and the look for Startup Tools; click it
There are several TABS; two of interest.
  1. Autorun
  2. Advanced Startup
Click on Autorun and then on the ICON BAR, EXPAND
Things with [x] are active and those shown empty [ ] are inactive.
Read very row under the DATA Column, looking for **COMODO** of any description. If it's [x] active, deselect it and move on.

When done, just click on the Process List to finalize and ensure your last alteration is seen and then you can just QUIT the application. When you restart, your changes will take effect

Hi JOBeard -
Hope you don't mind the simple questions about SpyBot.

I've got it running, but it does not say Startup Tools. I've attached the screen shot of it running.
What are the tabs?
I've got it running a System Scan, which promises to run for another 4 hours. Was that the right thing to do?

Thanks.
Doug8765

Attachments

• SpyBot startup screen 30Jan2018.png
    SpyBot startup screen 30Jan2018.png
    78.1 KB · Views: 0
Hi JOBeard -
Hope you don't mind the simple questions about SpyBot.

I've got it running, but it does not say Startup Tools. I've attached the screen shot of it running.
What are the tabs?
[X] ADVANCED USER MODE :grin:

You can halt the scan, you're looking for controls and configuration info at this time.

[X] ADVANCED USER MODE :grin:

You can halt the scan, you're looking for controls and configuration info at this time.

Hi JOBeard -
I'm looking at the output. I expanded the output for both "Autorun" and "Advanced Startup". The only mention I got is shown in the attached file - for a GeekBuddy entry, whatever that is, but it is listed as disabled.

Is there a way of searching? I typed "comodo" in the search bar for both and got nothing, even though there was that GeekBuddy entry.

Doug

Attachments

• SpyBot autorun showing Comodo 31Jan2018.png
    SpyBot autorun showing Comodo 31Jan2018.png
    98 KB · Views: 0

Hi DavidBailey -
I used that link you provided (the idoc.vsb.cz one) and was able to change the properties. I did not reboot, but it appears that I'm now able to access that Parkinson's discussion site. Your persistence is much appreciated.

Thank you. Thank you.

Doug8765

Hi JOBeard -
I'm looking at the output. I expanded the output for both "Autorun" and "Advanced Startup". The only mention I got is shown in the attached file - for a GeekBuddy entry, whatever that is, but it is listed as disabled.

Is there a way of searching? I typed "comodo" in the search bar for both and got nothing, even though there was that GeekBuddy entry.

Doug

Hi JOBeard -
I followed that link that DavidBailey provided for changing my network adapter properties to automatic. That appears to be working. So I think we're done. Thank you.

Doug

Back