Question about CPU speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes the newer quads from amd are way fater than single core cpus even if there is a cpu speed difference like a 2.6 ghz quad is alot faster than a say amd 6000+ cpu because the architecture of the cpu is more efficient.

I meant, that computer i am looking into buying as my secondary rig. And yes for gaming and everything else. Thanks for the info, looks like i will be buying that rig as my secondary computer, plan to buy a 4670 and a 9800GT for it.

Peace

I meant, that computer i am looking into buying as my secondary rig. And yes for gaming and everything else. Thanks for the info, looks like i will be buying that rig as my secondary computer, plan to buy a 4670 and a 9800GT for it.

Peace

general i would pass on the 9800 gt green edition it has terrible performance but i do like the 4670 :)

Peace
What you have written is that you are going to buy a "4670" AND a "9800GT" for your new mystery computer. So, I would think it's time for you to learn the difference between the words "and", and "or", since it wouldn't really work if you attempted to install both cards in the same machine.

general i would pass on the 9800 gt green edition it has terrible performance but i do like the 4670 :)

People said i shouldn't have bought the Galaxy 9500GT 1GB, well i did and performance is amazing with every game, that i have played so far. Well NFS shift is not, but that game sucks. So i think having the 9800gt will be great with that setup :)

What you have written is that you are going to buy a "4670" AND a "9800GT" for your new mystery computer. So, I would think it's time for you to learn the difference between the words "and", and "or", since it wouldn't really work if you attempted to install both cards in the same machine.

Um, i always buy 2 video cards. I didn't meant have them both in the rig at the same time lol. I support both ati and nvidia, so i buy a nvidia and a ati card.

Um, i always buy 2 video cards. I didn't meant have them both in the rig at the same time lol. I support both ati and nvidia, so i buy a nvidia and a ati card.
Oy! Since cost has always been mentioned as a consideration in your posts, (as it is also a consideration for most of us), forgive me for saying so, but this does seem a trifle frivolous. Although, I suppose that if anyone asks, you should have a better take on the capabilities of either card than most.

I support both ati and nvidia, so i buy a nvidia and a ati card

Maybe you could use nVidia in one build and ATI on the other. Anyway, I don't quite get the logic. If you're spending on 2 cards, you would be much better off buying a single more powerful one.

Quick question. I am replacing my single core amd le-1620 2.4ghz rig and buying this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/eMachin...ssor/9170844.p?id=1218043606347&skuId=9170844

How much faster and powerful is that dual core vs my single core?
Because the dual core by emachine has 2.1ghz , slower then my 2.4ghz single core or should i buy the
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Compaq+...ssor/9175064.p?id=1218045567985&skuId=9175064

Which has 2.3ghz. Or 2.1 on a dual core is faster then a single core with 2.4ghz?

Stay away from eMachines. AMD is fine but do a search here and find all the eMachine threads and the issues people have. Plus, other than a few Antec and Thermaltake offerings the power supplies that come with a case are 99% garbage and since this is an eMachine you can count on it.

Look at this link just as an example of what you can get: http://promotions.newegg.com/AMD/102009Bundle/index.html?cm_sp=InfoCenter-_-AMD3in1Bundle-_-na None are a complete set-up but a much wiser expenditure of money plus the money you were going to spend on two cards can now be put to motherboard, RAM, and OS, etc.

Tell us your budget and we'll help you.

Alright lets try this again( links aren't working for some reason )

I have a emachine AMD single core LE-1620 2.4ghz rig, and i am going to buy a AMD Athlon™ X2 dual-core processor 4050e " which only has 2.1ghz.
How much faster and powerful is that dual core vs my single core?
Because the dual core by emachine has 2.1ghz , slower then my 2.4ghz single core?
Which has 2.3ghz. Or 2.1 on a dual core is faster then a single core with 2.4ghz?

Also Route44
Thats a nice bundle, but i don't build computers and i never shop online and there is nothing wrong with emachines.

yes a 2.1 dual core will perform better than a 2.4 single core, especially in gaming as I believe is your main concern, and as most games are multi threaded. also the quality of emachines has improved in recent years as they were acquired by Gateway in 04, and Acer in 08.

Nevermind, i am picking this up next weekend, link might not work at best buy, but its called:

Asus - Essentio Desktop with Intel® Pentium® Processor , Intel® Pentium® processor E5300
Features 2 processing cores, 800MHz system bus, 2MB L2 cache and 2.6GHz processor speed.

Quick question, if a computer has 2.3ghz and its a dual core, wouldn't that be 2 cores, so 4.6ghz altogether?
bad at math?
or i missing how dual cores work?

Quick question, if a computer has 2.3ghz and its a dual core, wouldn't that be 2 cores, so 4.6ghz altogether?

Nope. Each core runs at the designated 2.3 GHz (in your case). It depends on whether the application is able to use both cores. If it can, the working efficiency is greatly increased (you may say doubled).

More like having 2 pizza delivery cars rather then one. They deliver at different locations at the same time, letting you do twice as much. But it's different than having one that drives twice as fast.

Yes. It is a Pentium Dual Core, which uses the Core 2 architecture. It would probably beat out your current single core with one of its cores disabled.

Thanks. Guess i will grab that, but before i do, or may end up getting a E5300 or a II athlon 240 or 215. I will let you guys know what i get soon.
peace :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back