Question about printing quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really. It depends on the quality of the printer heads, ink, ink feeds, and the paper onto which you wish to print.
The quality of the image can be controlled by the software, but it depends on what you wish to print.

google 'desktop printing' or publishing.

Actual final quality is at the device level with the largest DPI possible.
Magazine print quality is at more than 1200 DPI (regardless of the image size - aka resolution) and If I recall correctly some are at 3600 dpi. Color images are created in
CMYK color separations at the publishers required format, DPI and linescreen settings.

Our PCs have typical 96dpi screens and an average inkjet printer has at least a 300dpi processor with CMYK inks.

Tools like Photoshop have the means to produce both inkjet and magazine DPI settings.

Couple of added Thoughts.....

Inkjet printers such as the Epson R1900, (and others in its price range) have the capability to produce exhibition quality photographic prints. When, as Jobeard has pointed out, they are paired with the correct type of photo quality papers.

You do not actually need "Photoshop CS" to do this. For photo printing, Adobe's "Photoshop Elements" (currently on version 7), is sufficient, @ around $100.00 instead of $700.00.

Photoshop CS adds the capability to deliver files to a production lithographic press, or "rotogravure" if you will. This is because it has the capability to edit in "CMKY" mode, and has color profiles for "Pantone Inks", which are the printing industry standards.

I suppose in plain English, you can print high quality photos with the less expensive "Elements", and you could deliver the files to print "People Magazine", from your desk with Photoshop CS.

So yes, print quality is partially software dependent, much of which comes from the color management abilities of the programs mentioned.

illustrator/freehand are the software that makes the print quality high but they are not free. so are there any software available for free for the same purpose.

thanks

PicPick in the techspot downloads section, though I opened it to an interface very similar to Photoshop and promptly uninstalled it just because I have photoshop anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back