Question about upgrading my processor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I'm new to this site. I've been around computers and know my fair share of knowledge, but when it comes to upgrading hardware i'm a complete noob. I have an Intel Celeron 2.4 GHz Single Core processor in my Dell Dimension 2400 desktop. I recently upgraded my video card to a BFG NVIDEA GeForce 8400 and it runs great. But my processor is just too old and slow for the card to do its full work as well as games to do the same. My Motherboard is the board that came with the Dell desktop. If you need more information on it I will do my best to find it. But if you need any other info also let me know. Thank you in advance for any and all help.

The Dell Dimension 2400 should support the following Pentium 4 processors:

Intel® Pentium® 4 that runs at 2.2 or 2.4 GHz internally and 400 MHz externally, or 2.266, 2.4, 2.53, 2.66, 2.8, or 3.06 GHz internally and 533 MHz externally.

According to Dell's website, the machine uses a motherboard running the Intel 845GV chipset.

If you want to find out for sure, run CPUID's CPU-Z program.

thank you. and the chipset is something integrated into the mobo correct?
The "chipset" actually is the motherboard for all intents and purposes. It's the basis of everything that comes from or goes to the CPU. Different manufacturers "implement" different peripheral controllers in some cases, but the chipset defines what the board is and does.

Ah, okay. Thank you very much. How do I know which like socket type it is or whatever?
All 845 chipset boards are socket 478. The 915 Intel chipset begins the newer socket "LGA775". Dual core compatibility doesn't begin until the 945 boards, and then not until later issues of these.

You're pretty much going to be chasing your tail looking for an upgrade CPU for that board. They're hard to find, the used ones at Ebay are probably beat, and I believe your board only has AGP type graphics interface. Again, those are getting hard to find also.

No, it will not. The P-4 524 is a "Prescott" chip, in an LGA775 socket.

OK I hate to be a wet blanket, but there really isn't a part, or combination of available parts, that would turn your computer into a competent modern gaming machine. It's time to think about replacing it, at least with respect to gaming
The cheapest Intel G31 chipset board and a modern dual core CPU will outperform it by several orders of magnitude. All this in the 300 to 400 dollar range.

Here's a couple parts to give you some ideas; Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=g31_motherboard-_-13-128-357-_-Product
CPU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116074

Thanks! Now I have a question about the motherboard you posted:
1- Does it support PCI video cards? I ask that because I bought the new video card literally a week ago and would rather it not go to waste
2- Would it fit inside the Dell case I have or would I need a new case?

Well I know, but my current mobo only has PCI, so that's why I bought a PCI. And I would assume that it will fit the case because the motherboard I have now is a microATX and so is that one, correct?

Thanks! Now I have a question about the motherboard you posted:
1- Does it support PCI video cards? I ask that because I bought the new video card literally a week ago and would rather it not go to waste
The board I posted supports PCI and PCI-E (express) cards, but not AGP interface. In the case of a >>PCI << or perhaps even an AGP 8400 cards, the boards integrated graphics would come close to matching the video card's performance.

The Intel 845 chipset does NOT support PCI-E graphics, so your video card would NOT work if it is, in fact, an AGP interface

2- Would it fit inside the Dell case I have or would I need a new case?
The motherboard I posted is a "Matx" (Micro ATX) form factor. This would fit in most manufacturer's pre-built computer cases. There are some cases where this might not be true.

You could also post this question in a separate thread worded as follows, "will a standard Matx board fit in my Dell Optiplex case". There are techs in this forum that could probably a quick, one post answer since they work on these machines all the time.

So, it might also be a good idea to research your motherboard manufacturer's website for the specs on your particular board.

As a note, you should be able to use your current PSU, Hard Drive, and optical drives with the mobo I pointed out. You would have to buy new memory modules,(You board take "DDR RAM, (the current standard is either DDR2 or DDR3), and your copy of Windows would probably have to be replaced.

You don't want a PCI card...you want a PCI-E.
Either way the motherboard has both.
Would you please do some research about this chipset (Intel 845) before you post. It's quite dated (6 plus years), and not anything you're really used to dealing with . It carries an AGP graphics port, and our OP has to be specific about whether his card is actually PCI or an AGP card.

The OP's desire is to save the card for the time being. So if it is PCI, he's good to go.

I pointed out a Gigabyte Intei G31 board, which has Intel's GMA 3100 video. It's far from great, but then so is an Nvidia 8400 card, particularly if it's PCI.

Very true I do agree. But I don't plan on playing the modern games and what not, mainly just looking for performance in everyday computing as well as being able to run the games I own now better

Very true I do agree. But I don't plan on playing the modern games and what not, mainly just looking for performance in everyday computing as well as being able to run the games I own now better
Ryan, if the video card you have is in fact PCI, you will be able to use it in the board I pointed out, if it is AGP you will not. In any event, the onboard graphics in the Intel G31 chipset will be at or near par, with your video card. in any evet, you would be able to set the board to use the ongboard graohics, the video card, or in fact both, if you possess the multiple monitors to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back