Question on saving data before HD reformat

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first post so be kind. :)

My wife's computer was infected with a trojan and a key logger. I've decided to reformat the hard disk since we use this computer for online banking etc. My question is: I need to save off pictures, data files, outlook mail stuff, etc. before the reformat. What is the best way to ensure the data files are virus/trojan free before doing my reformat?

I've run several anti-virus and anit-spyware programs and they all come up clean.

Thanks for your help!

Re-run the antivirus and antispyware in SAFE MODE immediately after shutting down to get at any evil doers lurking in memory.

Then save the data to a few CD's. Just be sure you know where everything is stored.

For your online banking, the banking and accounting software will be stored in Program Files or elsewhere. Be sure you know where those files are located by saving them, then looking at the material you saved.

For email such as Outlook Express, Outlook, AOL, etc., it is sometimes better to use a paid program, although you will find instructions on the Microsoft website.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back