Question regarding a power supply, video card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, i'm currently trying to build a computer and i am having trouble figuring out which power supply to use for my Asus 8800GT. I've asked other Tech forums, and they all have told me the same thing, but the reviews on the product contradict what they are telling me.

I am looking at a hard drive from a company called hec (Orion). Other forums have told me that i should avoid this company and that it is junk.

Since i can't link the PSU that I am thinking about buying (not enough posts :()...ill give you the brand name and you can check it on Newegg.com

hec HP585D RETAIL 585W ATX12V Power Supply

This review is the one that really caught me attention and had me confused

Pros: I bought this power supply so I could use my eVGA 8800GT. I was really pessimistic thinking I could find a suitable power supply for my card at a cheap price. Man, was I wrong. This thing is a trooper. It does everything it was supposed to with no problems at all. Glad I bought it after all. I overclock my processor and graphics card as well, and this power supply doesn't falter at all.
Cons: None.

Now i understand that i shouldn't be cheap about my PSU, but honestly i don't want to spend 50 or more dollars on this if there is one cheaper that will do the job.

Can somebody PLEASE help me out with this, by letting me know if this will do the job. And instead of just telling me it's a piece of junk, please show me what is good within my price range (Nothing over 45 dollars).

Possible System Specs
Asus 8800GT
2 Gigs of ram (4 in the future) DDR2 800 (PC6400)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2 Dual Core Processor
BIOSTAR A770 Motherboard

My goal for this computer system is to be able to run crysis on Med/High with NO problems at all. Battlefield 2 on full high with NO LAG. And just to be able to play COD4.

Please, if you can help me out with finding a good PSU for my Asus 8800GT under 50 dollars, i would VERY much appreciate it.

get a cooler master 660Wats it will run it all it also has the graphics power connector for SLI

Ok well before i do that is the PSU that i linked above going to work with my set up? Because if it will, and it doesn't explode on me or something, i will be happy with buying the cheap stuff.

lol ya man it will cooler master is the @#$% lol when it comes to customs builds just email there customer support for extra confirmation they will make double sure for you

ilim4t1c, that PSU would plug in all u're wanting, but then would cause u all kinds of problems when it goes out, and that might be the next day, that is not a good PSU in the least.

PSUs are the most iffy of pc parts, you have to be good at hunting for them. You cant just spend $50 on one and believe it will work. (Newegg reviews are barely, if ever, reliable) If you do want the thing to last, it has to be good and that can mean spending upwards of $75 or so. This one should work though, Corsair probably makes the best PSUs so this one will work best. Sorry, there really aren't any good ones under $50, I understand you completely as I was in the same boat when trying to buy my Foxconn 9600GT.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003

Obi-Wan Jerkobi said:
PSUs are the most iffy of pc parts, you have to be good at hunting for them. You cant just spend $50 on one and believe it will work. (Newegg reviews are barely, if ever, reliable) If you do want the thing to last, it has to be good and that can mean spending upwards of $75 or so. This one should work though, Corsair probably makes the best PSUs so this one will work best. Sorry, there really aren't any good ones under $50, I understand you completely as I was in the same boat when trying to buy my Foxconn 9600GT.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003
Good psu but here's one for $60 ($30 rebate) for $30 net cost.
430w @ 30amps
80 plus efficiency
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371006

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back