Question: Which PSU to support GTX8800? PSU upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronhkg

Hi,

I'm going to buy a GTX8800 for my pc, but before that I will need to upgrade my PSU because it has only 250W ( i-cute china brand ), it definetly not sufficient to run GTX 8800. I have found this PSU on ebay

cgi.ebay. co. uk /NEW-650-w-SATA-PC-PSU-POWER-SUPPLY-SILENT-120mm-FAN_W0QQitemZ140332178693QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_PowerSupplies_EH?hash=item20ac731d05

I'm not sure does it fit for my new video card or not.

Experts please help me !!

You're better off getting a branded PSU from Corsair, OCZ, etc. I doubt that one from eBay will actually output 650W...
Also is the 8800 GTX even in production any more? Even if it is you're better off spending your money on a Radeon 5750 or something, which would probably cost about the same.

I have check both Corsair and OCZ on the net, both are not cheap and selling very expensive in UK...... is there any other famus brand with lower cost?

And does Radeon 5750 better than 8800 GTX? I heard my friend says 8800 GTX is the best?

And I have found that the video card needs an extra power cable for it ( 6 pin )? so the PSU i'm going to buy must have that cable right?

Sorry for my bad english. Anyway, thanks for your reply :)

Well, you could look into the BFGTech 550W PSU if it's available. Should be cheaper.

As for the card, the HD 5750 should be slightly better due to DX-11 support. Else, both are almost at par.

5750 would be the better choice if prices are similar though...wow 8800gtx is so old but it is still a decent card.

Does all new VGA cards need an extra cable for it from the power supply? if so, how do i know which psu has this power cable?

Most decent PSUs should have the 6 Pin PCI-E connenctor. Often the card also ships with them.

Many high performance graphics cards need two PCI-E connectors including the 8800GTX. Some use both 6 pin and 8 pin PCI-E power connectors. Read the specifications and pictures of both the card you are considering and the power supply to see if they are compatible with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back