Quick Question about RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Necrosjef

Been shopping around for some new pc parts recently to try and increase my performance the best bang for buck way possible.

So here is the situation, im currently running 2GB DDR2 RAM in my system (2x 1GB Sticks), now this RAM is just standard 667Mhz RAM nothing special about it because I don't overclock my CPU.

Would increasing my RAM to 4GB make a difference, would it be worth spending money to go up to 4GB?

Would changing RAM to a higher grade make a difference? and if so would it be a big difference?

No

On Windows Xp each process can only handle up to 2 Gig maximum

From here: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx
The virtual address space of processes and applications is still limited to 2 GB unless the /3GB switch is used in the Boot.ini file

Note: The speed of your Ram (667Mhz) is determined by your Motherboard's specifications
You will need to download your user manual to confirm the maximum Ram speed allowed

That's right :grinthumb

Oh I didn't check the sales company pic you supplied
Newegg don't make Motherboards

wrong. Windows XP (32 bit) can address up to 4gb, but the OS will only let a user "see" up to 3gb.

What Kimsland was saying, is that XP can only allocate up to 2 gb of ram to any one process or application, not the whole amount of ram XP can recognize.

Thanks Technochicken, that is correct
I also linked to Microsoft for validity

You need to read the whole MS article

From that would I be correct in saying that for example.

If I had more than one program running then having more than 2GB of RAM with XP would be beneficial?

No

Because Xp can only process one process at a time
Now I know there are many processes running
But the Process that is active, is the only process that can utilize the full amount of Ram, which is 2Gig

I know this is confusing!
It's very hard to explain too

What Kimsland was saying, is that XP can only allocate up to 2 gb of ram to any one process or application, not the whole amount of ram XP can recognize.
regardless of the addressable amount 2gb or 3, I think the real point is anything over 2gb is pretty much overkill for most applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back