RadioShack to launch no-contract wireless service on Sept. 5

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A leaked internal memo suggests that RadioShack is preparing to launch a no-contract wireless service on September 5. The offering would be powered by super regional carrier Cricket Wireless, a subsidiary of Leap Wireless that provides service to over 7 million customers in the US.

Cricket already offers a similar no-contract plan but RadioShack will reportedly be upping the ante by including an 8GB microSD memory card with phones equipped to use Cricket’s Muve Music rental service. As CNET described during a review of the service, it’s essentially a clever way to roll a music subscription service into a monthly plan that includes talk, text and data.

radioshack sept no contract wireless

All we have to go on at this point is the memo shown above which unfortunately doesn’t outline which phones will be available under the RadioShack No Contract Wireless program. Furthermore, monthly pricing isn’t mentioned but if we had to guess, it’ll likely be priced in line with other pre-paid wireless services – or around $50 per month at most.

Gotta Be Mobile doesn’t believe RadioShack will have access to the recently-launched iPhone for Cricket as they say it’s usually pretty hard for mobile virtual network operators (MVNOs) to get Apple’s handset on their network. That said, they expect RadioShack to mostly offer Android-based handsets and lower-end feature phones.

As it stands, September 5 is gearing up to be pretty busy as Motorola is hosting their Razr HD event and Nokia is putting on their Windows Phone 8 event the same day. Given those two events, RadioShack’s launch could fall behind in press coverage.

Permalink to story.

I remember the good old days when RadioShack was a real diy'ers electronics store, and you could buy just about any electrical component you needed. Now all they care about are cell phones.

Woot! Another player in the cellphone game!! Well atleast RadioShack has been around for a long time. I have a bit more faith in a company that has been around for 90+ years.

That's not Radio Shack's fault though. You have to move your business with the times, or you're out. They still carry TONS of stuff you can't just walk in and buy at other stores, but they can't rely on the old "back in the day" crap. That's not gonna cut it these days.

they can't rely on the old "back in the day" crap. That's not gonna cut it these days.

So the purist electronics supply companies aren't successful because they don't carry cell phones, is that what you're saying?

I've also got to disagree with you that they carry "TONS of stuff you can't just walk in and buy at other stores". My local Home Depot is more of a RadioShack than the local RadioShack is. I can't even buy decent wiring at my local Shack.

I remember R.S. with boxes full of parts (resisters, capacitors, inductors, PC diy kits, tubes and transistors) laying on the floor around the room.

@Wendig0 >I can't even buy decent wiring at my local Shack< definition is important here, but you've got to be kidding.

"Parts" availability is a major problem if you have skills to DIY!!!

I remember R.S. with boxes full of parts (resisters, capacitors, inductors, PC diy kits, tubes and transistors) laying on the floor around the room.

@Wendig0 >I can't even buy decent wiring at my local Shack< definition is important here, but you've got to be kidding.

"Parts" availability is a major problem if you have skills to DIY!!!

I wish I was. The only wiring my radioshack carries is some 3 pack of cheapo 22awg solid core wire that is way overpriced, or some cheapo 24awg 2 conductor speaker wire that's priced pretty decent. That's it for selection. Oh, and good luck getting a soldering iron at my radioshack, because they don't carry any.

OMG! I would be P***ED too :(

>24awg 2 conductor speaker wire that's priced pretty decent
use AC power cord on a reel - - not polarized, but you can use a VOM and mark the common lead before you pull the cable. I typically just cut one lead 1" shorter than the other.

>good luck getting a soldering iron
sheez! HD has that too.

Guess you're becoming a fan of mail order!

OMG! I would be P***ED too :(

>24awg 2 conductor speaker wire that's priced pretty decent
use AC power cord on a reel - - not polarized, but you can use a VOM and mark the common lead before you pull the cable. I typically just cut one lead 1" shorter than the other.

>good luck getting a soldering iron
sheez! HD has that too.

Guess you're becoming a fan of mail order!

I usually drive the 20 something miles to Mason's Electronics when I need to stock up on anything, but I've got to admit that I love my Amazon Prime membership. I try my best to buy from the local business out here though.

Not every RadioShack is a RadioShack. There are differences between a corp RS and a franchise RS. I have a corp RadioShack in my town and if I need something that they dont have in the store, they find what I need elsewhere and have it shipped to them. So there is a big difference. Ive been in franchises that treat you horrible and dont act like the corp stores do. My RadioShack that I go to has always been helpfull and informative.

I worked at Radio Shack in Hollywood in 1985 getting started in computers. Cell phones were just starting then. Their showcase item then was the COLOR 3 inch screen portable tv.

Ok I can understand your concern about Radioshack not being a haven for DIY as much as it used to be but they do carry soldering tools. The one I shop at has at least 12 different types. It can be that the one you visit just doesnt do enough of that type f business. Plus as other posters have pointed out if a company doesnt change with the times then they end up the route of hollywood video and circuit city.

Back