RAM clock speed issues

Ok, I have 16GB of Ballistix Sport memory installed (DDR4-3000). For the life of me I haven't been able to use it at the rated speed. It defaults to 2400 and use the A XMP setting do it's thing and set the clock to 3000, Windows will boot but my browser will sporadically give me STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION or STATUS_STACK_BUFFER_OVERRUN errors. I only ran Windows for about 10-15 minutes when it was at 3000 but it never actually crashed. I didn't try any games or anything though.

It's an MSI mobo with the latest BIOS firmware installed (I can give more details if necessary)

Should I even worry about it? Is there even that much difference between 2400 and 3000?

I just hate not being able to squeeze every little bit of speed out of this thing.

Side note - when I go back and switch to 2400, Windows behaves normally.

You’ll need to state the exact make and model of CPU and motherboard, before the issue can be properly analysed.

Ryzen processors are quite responsible to increases in RAM speed, so getting it to 3000 is definitely worth the trouble. Perhaps the first thing to check is whether or not your exact RAM model is on MSI's compatibility list:

Select Compatibility from the left menu, then Memory by RX-3X00. You can search by the vendor (Crucial) or if you have the exact model code, you can search by that. If your RAM has been tested by MSI, it will appear in the list and you'll be able to see what speed is actually supported. Don't worry if it's not in the list, though: MSI can't test every possible make & model of DDR4.

Scanning through the Compatibility list for DDR4-3000 entries shows almost all of them are rated for 3000, so that in itself shouldn't be a problem. What might be an issue is the XMP Profile - some RAM models have two XMP profiles and the BIOS may have the option to switch between them.

The profiles themselves are fairly generic and not always optimal for a given CPU+motherboard combination. If you're confident with tweaking RAM timings in the BIOS, you could copy the XMP timings onto paper, set everything to manual, and then enter the XMP values in by hand - then raise something like tCAS by 1 (e.g. 15 to 16) and see how that fairs, in terms of stability.

Or you can use the default timings, set the voltage to the XMP voltage, and raise the clock to 2933. Test that and see if you get errors; then keep dropping the speed to see where things settle down at.

Something to note is that you're using a fairly beefy CPU in a motherboard that only has a 4-phase VRM setup and with no heatsink to help with heat dissipation. Putting a 3900X into that board, and then using overclocked RAM, will make them quite toasty.

Check out the above article - although it's not exactly the same board as yours, it's pretty similar. You can see that using a 3900X in the B450 board was pushing just over 70 degrees Celsius on the back of the motherboard (where the VRMs are located).

I don't think that it's likely this is the issue, as those temperatures were achieved using a 1 hour Blender test, not a web browser, but it is something worth considering.

I can't thank you enough for your help. Seriously, you were way more informative than I thought anyone would be for free :)

I went back and re-enabled A-XMP, but this time I changed the voltage to 1.35V (which is what is on the package the RAM came in so I'm assuming it will be fine). I've been browsing for 10-15 minutes and so far I haven't come across any issues. I'll be doing some gaming in a bit so we'll see how stable it is.

On the issue of this CPU-Mobo combo, I've been wondering if I should upgrade to an X570 board (The ASUS Tuf Gaming X570-Plus to be precise) What are your thoughts on that?

Thank you again so much for your help. Here's to hoping this will work from here on out!

Back