Ram issue for a Dell Optiplex

Status
Not open for further replies.

cableman

I have a Dell Optiplex on the way from e-bay and I would like to go ahead and order some more ram so they get here about the same time but I am having a hard time finding out what ram chip to get for that model.

I normally don't have a problem looking up the correct ram but I am getting suggestions for PC-2-5300 and PC-2-6400 as well as some others. I know that it uses DDR2 but the rest is confusing me. I understand the chip speed such as 667mhz or 800mhz but the rest I am unfamiliar with.

Could someone please tell me what type of ram chip I need to get? I am going to get 1mb sticks so I don't care if they are exactly the same as what comes with it because it only comes with 215mb of ram so if I get one with a faster speed then it won't matter cause 215 mb is nothing for ram. Please help me with what ram chip to put in this unit if anyone can and thanks.

I could help you out with that. But first, I would need the exact model of the computer.

E.g. Dell Optiplex 360

model

I am sorry. I knew you would need the model, I just forgot. It is a Dell Optiplex GX280 with a pentium 3.4ghz processor.

PC-2-5300 or 6400 is just another format of saying that same thing.

PC is the replacement for DDR, the 2 is obvious, and as for the number, it's just the megahertz multipled by 8.

667x8 = 5300
800x8 = 6400
1066x8= 8500

That's where the numbers come from.

As for the RAM type, a google search for your system tells me that it actually supports DDR2 400mhz, not 667 or 800. You'd be looking for PC-2-3200.

One more question cableman. Is the computer you ordered a small desktop tower or a mini tower? It might make a difference in terms of what is supported unless the GX280 has universal memory specs across all its types.

mini or tower

Well........the picture and description showed a full size tower but when I try to look up specs or info on a Dell Optiplex GX280 I see pictures of the mine size and I always get conflicting information.

Well, it appears not to make a difference. After some more research, according to various other websites, it support 400mhz and 533mhz. So I would obviously go with the faster alternative.

Get yourself some PC2 4200.

thanks

Thanks to all I believe that we have it figured out. I see by the dell manual that has the specs for all the different size GX280 that they all will support 400 or 533 mhz ram chips so I will go with the `faster. Thanks for all the help guys. I hat to ask another question but I wonder if this model has the hyper threading cpu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back