RAM Latancy vs memory speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

eafshar

OCZ Gold Tri Channel 6GB PC12800 DDR3 Memory - 1600MHz, 6144MB (3 x 2048) at 8-8-8-24

vs

OCZ Platinum Tri Channel 6GB PC10666 DDR3 Memory - 1333MHz, 6144MB (3 x 2048)
at 7-7-7-20

which one would u choose? both sell for 130$ CAD. i know lower latency is better and higher freq is better but i guess i don't know which one affects it more.

seeing as I'm building an i7 rig.. and that the i7 is running at 1333mhz I'm thinking of option B.

appreciate all input

Hi eafshar,
what motherboard are you using and what are the ram capabilities of your motherboard? also need to check the memory support list and make sure that OCZ memory works with it.

Where are you finding those prices? I can find the OCZ Gold for $105 and then find OCZ Platinum for $125. Both are at 1600MHz but the platinum has the better timings. Also worth noting is the OCZ XMP which is suppose to have better compatibility with X58 Motherboards, most of the time to make full use of your RAM's potential you need to set it yourself in the BIOS.

tx for the replies.

my build plan at this moment is

MotherBoard: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
CPU: Intel Core i7 920
GPU: Nvidia gtx 280 <---- already bought this (i know the 4870 is better value for money.. but im planning on getting a 120hz lcd monitor and at some point 3d gamin glasses which only work with Nvidia cards :( )

PSU: Corsair TX750W <----on sale on new egg so looks a good deal

haven't really decided on RAm, Case.. and weather or not i need extra cooling.
i got those prices at tigerdirect..i guess i should do a better search to find the best prices.

Hey eafshar,
here is the QVL for your Asus board9P6T Deluxe V20, the reason i brought it up was that ASUS boards have had known issues with some OCZ ram types.

from the comments on newegg it seems like OCZ XMP DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) works very well with asus p6t deluxe..i couldn't find it on the QVL asus p6t deluxe for the board tho.

im thinking if going with the above mentioned RAM. i have a new question. howmuch a performance increase would i be looking at if i go with a SSD for my OS? is the performance noticable when multitaskin and gaming? or is it just boot up time dats affected mostly. thanks.

sometimes those lists are not kept up to date very well, and that ram kit may work just fine...just wanted you to be aware of the possible issue. :)
as far as the SSD, you will notice a difference in load times for games and apps.

Check the voltages, if they are above 1.65v your CPU cant take them. If they are not take the 1600 and OC the timings to 7-7-7-20. It should run fine.

If you think about it, the 1600 is the faster one. If you get the 1600 and underclock it to 1333mhz, you will be able to run it at much lower timings than the 1333mhz rated one.

thanks alot guys you have been a lot of help.. i never thought RAMs could be so complicated. all of that for a little performance difference.

Hahaha, its like askin which is the fastest car when one has more power and the other more torque, there will always be a debate!

Good Luck!

The faster the RAM is, the longer the latency timings must be, it's that simple.

So, there is no argument about the timings between the 2 memory modules, the point is sort of moot.

Point being that if you ran the slower RAM at the speed of the faster, you might have to loosen up the timings for that to happen successfully.

Check the voltages, if they are above 1.65v your CPU cant take them. If they are not take the 1600 and OC the timings to 7-7-7-20. It should run fine.

If you think about it, the 1600 is the faster one. If you get the 1600 and underclock it to 1333mhz, you will be able to run it at much lower timings than the 1333mhz rated one.
this is the same point but in reverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back