Ram not allowing pc to boot problem

worldtutorials

Hello, most of my problem is explained in the video I made below:
But what I failed to mention in the video is that I opened my pc yesterday to clean it and when I put it back together this ram problem started occurring. While cleaning I did remove the blue ram stick to check for dust but saw none and put it right back, no problem. I don't think any of my wires are loose and I am almost certain it is the ram/ram ports.

While you may have zapped some of your RAM, I'm hoping it is something else. Check your slots for hidden matter down at the bottom - coming in contact when you insert RAM..(yup, happened to me).

While you may have zapped some of your RAM, I'm hoping it is something else. Check your slots for hidden matter down at the bottom - coming in contact when you insert RAM..(yup, happened to me).
I have and I don't see anything. Would you recommend me cleaning the ram slot? If so with what?

I didn't see it either - until I had the system apart and out of the case. My trick is some light plastic tube (1/4" clear stuff from local hardware). I punched a hole in a milk jug cap and threaded the tubing. Then I just stuck the cap on the nozzle of a vacuum and used the tubing to chase the little pieces (and dust bunnies) - still use it to clean my PCs.

Other folks might suggest canned air - but I prefer my method.

ps Did you use a pencil eraser on the gold fingers? I was told that it should only be one direction (down) and not a scrubbing motion.

I didn't see it either - until I had the system apart and out of the case. My trick is some light plastic tube (1/4" clear stuff from local hardware). I punched a hole in a milk jug cap and threaded the tubing. Then I just stuck the cap on the nozzle of a vacuum and used the tubing to chase the little pieces (and dust bunnies) - still use it to clean my PCs.

Other folks might suggest canned air - but I prefer my method.

ps Did you use a pencil eraser on the gold fingers? I was told that it should only be one direction (down) and not a scrubbing motion.
Yes I did use an eraser on the gold fingers. I went in a up/down motion afraid it might damage the pins if I went left to right. I will try what you said and keep you posted. So you recommend me to take out my board and clean the ram ports?

Any chance of a short behind the motherboard? Sometimes the standoffs are not up to the job - and once I lost a screw back there and it took me quite a time to find that one.

Any chance of a short behind the motherboard? Sometimes the standoffs are not up to the job - and once I lost a screw back there and it took me quite a time to find that one.
Alright I'll check for that aswell. I wont be opening my pc right now as I am on it, I'll do it most likely tonight and post what I found tomorrow.

Taking it out and cleaning and assembling it on a bench (not in the case until you fix whatever) - bench needs to be non-conductive - I use books and newspapers. Identify motherboard download manual < http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B75 Pro3/?cat=Manual > (I really hate connecting the restart button to the system speaker or the BIOS reset). Memory slots - sometimes need to be in a specific order. Other thing you can get from manufacturer is list of tested compatible RAM < http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B75 Pro3/?cat=Memory > .

Issue 1 - are the 2 left memory slots really dead? look for something causing short or blocking full insertion of sticks.
Issue 2 - is the Vengeance dead? - hope it is a fixable ram slot issue - confirm slot requirements in manual
issue 3 - is the corsair stick dead? - yah, likely - bummer - but should check in the A1 slot as per manual (single stick setup).

Is it chilly and dry where you are? Ground out (and keep grounding out)before you statically discharge into something.

Alright I'll check for that aswell. I wont be opening my pc right now as I am on it, I'll do it most likely tonight and post what I found tomorrow.
Oh, sorry. Since I have 4 (or 5 counting the Apple) computers, I forget what its like to be 'single'. Can you borrow a laptop if you need to troubleshoot while checking the web??

Oh, sorry. Since I have 4 (or 5 counting the Apple) computers, I forget what its like to be 'single'. Can you borrow a laptop if you need to troubleshoot while checking the web??
Ok I took out my board and this is what it looks like. So what now?
dAmo2Sv.jpg

Im not really good with tech talk so you may have to be a little bit more simple for me

Check for stuff in slots - use strong light or flashlight - check back of board - did anything fall out when you pulled the board? were standoffs in place all around? While at it, look for little brown spots or any broken pieces (resistors are tiny these days).

Check for stuff in slots - use strong light or flashlight - check back of board - did anything fall out when you pulled the board? were standoffs in place all around? While at it, look for little brown spots or any broken pieces (resistors are tiny these days).
Slots look fine to me and I didnt find any brown spots on the board and nothing fell.
jo7SLnE.jpg

Nothing is easy.. look closely at left side of slot B1 .. shiny spot down in slot.. compressed air? vacuum?

Look also at the fingers inside each connector - they should be uniform and not twisted or bent

could you check in the motherboard manual about how memory should be installed (which first, etc) .My guess is A1, but not sure

Then wire up to the power supply, monitor, HDD and switches, etc and populate 'first' slot with the vengeance to see if it might be 'ok'. We hope that it is and that the BIOS will make things work in 'AUTO' mode.

If it boots, check BIOS to see what its setting is.

Ditto the bad Corsair stick.

Then the good Corsair sticks.

Any differences in the settings for any of the memory sticks which did work? If different, order in slots is critical - and the memory stick which is of better quality will work while another may or may not (if the board senses a stick which will take higher frequency in 'first' slot, it will expect it of any others)

From the manual now, is there anything that indicates that it is 'ok' to have memory in left two slots(B1/B2) when none in right two (A1/A2)? If so, your slots might be 'ok', but the RAM sticks not.

Hope something gives us an issue that can be fixed, otherwise you may have bad memory slots in B1/B2.

Nothing is easy.. look closely at left side of slot B1 .. shiny spot down in slot.. compressed air? vacuum?

Look also at the fingers inside each connector - they should be uniform and not twisted or bent

could you check in the motherboard manual about how memory should be installed (which first, etc) .My guess is A1, but not sure

Then wire up to the power supply, monitor, HDD and switches, etc and populate 'first' slot with the vengeance to see if it might be 'ok'. We hope that it is and that the BIOS will make things work in 'AUTO' mode.

If it boots, check BIOS to see what its setting is.

Ditto the bad Corsair stick.

Then the good Corsair sticks.

Any differences in the settings for any of the memory sticks which did work? If different, order in slots is critical - and the memory stick which is of better quality will work while another may or may not (if the board senses a stick which will take higher frequency in 'first' slot, it will expect it of any others)

From the manual now, is there anything that indicates that it is 'ok' to have memory in left two slots(B1/B2) when none in right two (A1/A2)? If so, your slots might be 'ok', but the RAM sticks not.

Hope something gives us an issue that can be fixed, otherwise you may have bad memory slots in B1/B2.
Its late and we will continue this tomorrow. So I put all the cords into the correct place except for some cords that say "power sw" and "hdd led" and "power led" because they all fit into the same prong group that is labeled panel (hinting the front panel on my case). So now my pc wont turn on, my board is 100% powered because the light is green on my gpu. Now im not sure the correct order of these cords and ill link a pic to show u. Im sure its not powering because the power sw cord isnt in the correct spot but idk. The pics I took before taking it apart are too blurry to see the correct spots. If u could help that would be great. Also thanks for the help so far.

Back