Ram problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, tried on another forum but nobody could help, maybe I'll have more luck here. Basically I added 512 ram to my self build pc which already had 512 installed. The ram was exactly the same as the ram I had installed (KIngston PC3200) and the motherboard is Gigabyte GA-K8VT800. After installing the new ram the pc gave a series of long beeps indicating ram error. I took it out and the computer booted fine with only the original ram. Tried the new ram on its own in all 3 slots and again the error beeps. I assumed the ram to be faulty but on booting with only the original ram I got the same error beeps again. Nothing on the screen, only constant error. Took the new ram back to the shop, the guy there replaced it and said I should reset the cmos and the original and the new replacement ram should work fine. The reset cmos is a bit strange on this mobo so eventually I took the battery out, left it out overnight and still the same beeps with both the original ram and the replacement on their own. Has anybody else had similar experience? Has the motherboard bitten the dust? Will take it to the shop tomorrow but just wanted to know if anyone could help before I do that. Thanks

RAM sockets often have problems with connections. Once the snaps are locked, move it left and right by holding it(the RAM) in the middle (Assuming your RAM slots are in vertical position).

The RAM board is a bit flexible(fiberglass) and should not break if you don't use over excessive force.

Tedster said:
You only need to remove the CMOS for a second or two. Overnight is unnecessary.

Yeah I know that but I had tried with both the jumper and the battery (30 mins) and just gave it a go over night to make sure. Tried moving the ram about but still the same error.

Try fitting the card the other way mate. This happened to me and once I turned it the other way and inserted it, it worked. Also, try opening the snaps and then pushing the card down into the slot from one corner and then the other until the snaps close by themselves. That ensures the card is sitting tight. Good luck :grinthumb

Yeah I know that but I had tried with both the jumper and the battery (30 mins) and just gave it a go over night to make sure. Tried moving the ram about but still the same error.

Have you unplugged the power just like this?

Have you unplugged the power cord from the power supply while resetting the CMOS? Removing the battery often doesn't work if you let the power cord plugged.

Moving the ram left and right a couple of times cleans the connections which might have a litle oxydation.

Thanks for the explanation. Yes I did remove the power supply cable while resetting the CMOS. As for moving the ram, that doesn't seem to make any difference, have tried dozens of times. The system is only a few weeks old. Cheers

I think that you should go at your shop with your computer and let them try to get it work. Maybe they've got a batch of non-working RAM. You could try with Corsair and other major brands.

well, just tried with some ram from a friend's computer and the same story. Looks like it could be the motherboard after all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back