Random Blue Screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebor

This machine has been stable for over a year, and just in the past few months started throwing blue screen, sometimes 4 a day.
Specs:
Vista x64 Ultimate
Abit AWD9 Max Motherboard
E6600 @ 2.4ghz
Corsair 2GB PC6400
Nvidia 8800 GTS
Creative X-fi XtremeGamer
2x250gb Seagate HDs in RAID 0
Pioneer Blu-ray drive

These blue screens can happen while watching a bluray movie, while browsing through some folders in explorer, or sitting idle. They didn't used to happen. I have the latest sound and video drivers, as well as the latest BIOS for my motherboard. I can pass several passes of memtest 86, but I've encountered an error in less than 2 minutes in Prime95 on the mixed (max heat, max power consumption) mode. Anyway, here are some dump files, they always name a different process as the culprit, and I don't really understand how to interpret them, so maybe you guys do.

ETA: Prime95 errored out in less than a minute when I ran the 3rd test (tests mostly RAM.) So is it possible that my good ram has gone bad over time?

Is this just 1 RAM Card or 2?

The MiniDumps cite 0x3D (Twice), 0xA and 0x7F all your problems are Drivers, specifically Network and Audio Drivers.

Please use Driver Cleaner Pro to clear your Drivers and Reinstall the Latest Versions.

Driver Cleaner Pro

I uninstalled my audio (creative x-fi) and network (realtek) drivers, ran Driver Cleaner Pro, then reinstalled my audio drivers (and associated utilities) and just ran with the windows driver for the realtek network adapter.

Got a blue screen during Assassin's Creed just now:
BugCheck 7F, {8, 80050031, 6f8, fffffa600244b7d2}

Ok there is a Driver cited "nvlddmkm.sys" this is a Nvidia Driver please use Driver Cleaner Pro again and Remove them then reinstall the Latest Versions.

Ok I followed your directions, uninstalling my nvidia drivers, running driver cleaner pro and removing nvidia drivers, then reinstalling the latest nvidia drivers. I played Assassin's Creed for about 6 minutes before getting a BSoD:

3B, {c0000005, fffff80001e8577b, fffffa600d5f69f0, 0}

Ok that MiniDump cites a Windows Kernel Driver, but I had a look at the Process name and it cited "audiodg.exe" and surprise surprise it is a WIndows Vista Driver this to be exact "Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation". Try updating your Sound Drivers and Windows with all updates available at this time.

If this doesn't sort the Error we need to go back to the RAM problem you described in your OP and try this Memory Test - Windows Memory Diagnostic

Ok that MiniDump cites a Windows Kernel Driver, but I had a look at the Process name and it cited "audiodg.exe" and surprise surprise it is a WIndows Vista Driver this to be exact "Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation". Try updating your Sound Drivers and Windows with all updates available at this time.

If this doesn't sort the Error we need to go back to the RAM problem you described in your OP and try this Memory Test -

I ran the memory test you suggested for 8 passes in extended mode over night. No errors found. And I already have the newest Sound drivers and windows updates.

Ok you say you had used Prime95 on the Blend Test,

Did you use the other tests?
If so what happened, If not then please run the First 2 tests "Small FFT's" and "Large FFT's" for about 20mins and post the results.

You will probably know that Prime95 also tests the CPU as well so we will see

Ok you say you had used Prime95 on the Blend Test,

Did you use the other tests?
If so what happened, If not then please run the First 2 tests "Small FFT's" and "Large FFT's" for about 20mins and post the results.

You will probably know that Prime95 also tests the CPU as well so we will see

I ran 20 minutes of Small FFTs without problems. I ran 20 minutes of Large FFTs and encountered an error: "FATAL ERROR Rounding was .5 , expected less than .4"

I'm afraid that your CPU may be faulty but it should have failed on the Small FFT's test as well, so it may not be that.

You didn't answer my question earlier.
Is it 1 RAM Card or 2?

If it is 2 could you try taking 1 RAM card out and then running the Computer and see if runs ok.

If it does run ok then you will have taken out a Faulty RAM card.
If it doesn't then try taking the other out and put the other back in and then test again and see if it runs ok.

I went 5 days without a bluescreen (playing assassin's creed, crysis, watching tv) and then got 3 within an hour last night while watching Mrs. And Mr. Smith on Bluray (fairly CPU intensive.) Here are the crash dumps:

I ran overnight memtest, Vista memory tester, and the windows diagnostic linked above, and the memory checks out fine. Also the machine can run Small TFTs in Prime95 indefinitely without a problem, but errors out on Large TFTs and the Blend test. Since Small TFTs stress just the processor, and all the memory tests seemed to have cleared the memory as a culprit, I'm thinking the problem could be the motherboard. Prime95 fails in operations that involve the processor AND the memory. Sadly I paid ~$230 for this fancy A-bit motherboard. :(

One Of the MiniDumps cite a Creative Driver but I don't think this would be the problem though, Is it possible for you to test the Hardware on another Motherboard, it doesn't have to be all the Hardware though. Before you buy new Motherboard

If it is under warranty them get it replaced, also back-up all your Important Data to a CD or External HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back