Random BSOD WinXP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

hossama

Hi,

Suddenly, I started to have totally random BSOD. It started 10-Nov and it's occurring frequently (specially with load)

I did not install any new drivers (before the BSOD started to appear)
I did not install any new hardware (before the BSOD started to appear)
I installed a new windows (on a different HDD)... Same thing!!!!
I sometimes suffer from random crashes (chrome, firefox, IE8, Task manager) all those processes sometimes crash with no reason.
I disconnected 2 out of my 3 HDDs (I thought it might be a PSU issue)... No luck.
I cleaned all the dust in my Case.
I downloaded all types of SW to monitor temps, volts and fans RPM... All clear.
I updated my Main Board Bios
I updated all drivers (Main Board, Graphics Card, Network Card... etc...)
I have nothing Over clocked in my system.. All running with default settings.
I ran memtest86 for 23 hours. ZERO errors.

All this steps and no clue.
The only thing I noticed is:
I have 2x1GB RAM modules. When I run my pc using only one of my memory sticks (Either of them) the problem is solved. The problem appears ONLY when both sticks are in.

Could anyone help me solving this. I just want to know which Hardware piece should I suspect. I just can't replace everything. Thanks a lot in advance

First I want to say excellent work on your part not only in your diagnostic work but also in giving us really pertinent information with a clear concise list.

When I read your symptoms I thought that this sounded like memory issues. Here is what the minidumps gave:

Three minidumps simply cited Windows OS drivers and these are usually too general to be of much help. However, two are 0x8E and these are almost always caused by hardware and are a strong indicator of bad RAM

One error is 0x50: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

This dump cited the Realtek High Definition Audio driver RtkHDAud.sys as the cause of your crashes, but at this point I don't believe that is your primary problem.

The final minidump is 0xA and these are either caused by hardware or faulty drivers attempting to address a higher IRQ Level that they have no right to.

This one specifically cited memory corruption as the problem. So, run Memtest on your RAM.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. 8 Individual Tests = 1 Pass; you need at least 7 Passes. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

Thank you so much for your efforts and updates.

I already ran memtest (as I mentioned in my original post) for 23 hours with no errors occurred.
You might missed this in my troubleshooting steps (it was the last step in my investigations) :)
But I really appreciate your efforts in analyzing my "strange" problem.

I want to ask, Could it be the processors cache memory is the one corrupted???

Oh... I forgot to add that I tried to run prime95 (Torture test Blend mode) and the result was BAD as follows:

[Dec 10 13:20] Worker starting
[Dec 10 13:20] Setting affinity to run worker on logical CPU #0
[Dec 10 13:20] Beginning a continuous self-test to check your computer.
[Dec 10 13:20] Please read stress.txt. Choose Test/Stop to end this test.
[Dec 10 13:20] Test 1, 4000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M19922945 using FFT length 1024K.
[Dec 10 13:20] FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4998936904, expected less than 0.4
[Dec 10 13:20] Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
[Dec 10 13:20] Torture Test ran 0 minutes - 1 errors, 0 warnings.
[Dec 10 13:20] Worker stopped.

I need help please. I'm clueless :(

Nuts! Sorry about missing the 23 hours of Memtest. So much for me reading in total your clear and precise list. Still, corrupted memory is identified as the probable cause and the fact that it runs with one stick but not two needs to be explored further.

Did you run memtest one stick at a time? By the way, bad RAM hads been known to pass this test on ocassion. Also, does the BIOS show the voltage of your RAM set at the mkanufacture's recommended specs?

Well, I'll try to run memtest today testing one RAM at a time. I'll check also the voltages and get back to you.

Thanks...

Sorry for being late. I just didn't get the chance to run memtest last night.
So, I ran memtest on each one of my RAM sticks (Just 2 passes of test) It showed nothing.
The interesting part is that when I put my 2 modules in the channel, no errors occur!!!
(To be more clear, I have 4 DIMM slots. each 2 green and 2 orange. To run in dual mode I should put one in orange and one in green) so when I put them both in orange. Nothing happens.

So, again what should I suspect, the RAM, Main Board or the PSU...

What happens when you put both in the green slots?

When I get a chance I'll try to look up your motherboard.

hi i need some help
keep getting bsod everytime the xp loads up, prob near username screen ( as i am the sole user). it works in safe mode, but in normal i just keep getting the bsod.
its not my hardware cz the machine has not had anything new in the last 2 months.
even my last known good configuration doesn't work.
been having this problem for a few hours now.

my spec is:

asus m2n32-sli deluxe
bios version 2209
quad-core phenom 9950
WD 500gb HDD
geforce 9600GT graphics card
ballistix 4X1gb 800MHz memory
OS XP professional service pack 3

i am new to the software relm. i'v built 3 machines in my life time and this is the 1st time i'v had this problem.

@uzi -- Please start your own thread because a) this one is dealing with hossama's issues and b) most people will not realize you are seeking your own help thinking you are responding to hossama. In your post please also tell the OS and security software you are running. Thanks.

@ hossama - I read your manual and I quote: "Always insert the memory modules into the GREEN slots first, and it is strongly recommended not to insert the memory modules into the ORANGE slots while the GREEN slots are left empty."

Thanks,

I checked the manual and I found the same sentence you're quoting. The strange thing is in the same page they wrote:
"Dual-channel DDRII works ONLY in the 5 combinations listed in the table shown in the previous page."
And the table have options of installing one module in Green and the other is orange.
"I also attached snapshot of the table for anyone to reference"

Anyway, I tried the following and here is the results:

1 RAM stick (any slot) --> No Issues
2 RAM sticks (same color slot) --> No Issues
2 RAM sticks in Dual-Channel (Stick in orange slot and the other in a green one) --> Random crashes and BSOD

So, my issue now is running my RAM modules in Dual-Channel.

I also want to highlight that this PC is running perfectly for more than a year. and this issue started suddenly.

Thanks Kimsland,

I totally doubt that it's a virus issue. I'm having the same issue after installing a totally new windows on a formated HDD. I'm using Mcafee (Antivirus & Firewall) and I tried many spyware/malware tools and nothing is detected.

I'm already putting both modules in green And by putting both modules in green things are fine BUT I'm running in Single-Channel mode not in Dual-Channel...

Thanks for the link. What does your BIOS show your memory voltage set at?

And I would believe kimsland would be in full agreement with me when I say there are a whole lot better security softwares than McAfee.

And I would believe kimsland would be in full agreement with me when I say there are a whole lot better security softwares than McAfee.
Yes I would, but since we are not suppose to tell members to remove their paid product, (note there are times that we can) we can at least say do an online scan with Eset Online Scanner: http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/ (But I only like Free Antivirus softwares like Free Avira ;))
I just had to squeeze that in didn't I :)

Thanks guys, I know that Mcafee is not the best ;)

But to tell you the truth, I'm very cautious with my PC. Windows (and java) is always up to date. I don't install any software unless I totally trust it. It's hard some how (and of course not impossible) to get hit buy a virus/malware/spyware or whatever.

Anyway, I scanned my PC with ESET. All Clear :D

For the memory, the voltage is set (and measured by CPU-Z) to 1.8V

Do you think I give it a try and replace my RAM? As a kind of troubleshooting?

I'd say its a dicky motherboard ,but without a spare to test it will cost what ever route you decide to take.
As it errors on dual channel only then i guess it dont like the ram modules (Both the same type and make?) but all my advice is only the whim of an old fart that has had dual channel problems before due to a PSU blowing.
So take my comments with a pinch of salt,but try to find a friend to swop ram with see if that helps.....

I also suspect the North Bridge in my Main Board (might have had some overheating or so that did some damage to it) but I can't swap the board that easy. I think it's easier to ask a friend to lend me RAM to test and see.

If anyone can suggest something please speak it out loud...

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back