Random BSoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnarkill

I get one whenever I am either playing TF2 or CS. When it comes up it says the following:

0x0000008E
0XC0000005
0xB9554970
0X0000000

usbport.sys error

I tried unplugging and checking each usb port one by one to see if they were bad, but that didn't work. Anyone have any ideas?

Well that driver usbport.sys is a Windows driver and they are usually too general to be of much help.

However, your 0x8E error are almost always caused by hardware issues and often points to RAM as the culprit, though it can be caused by other hardware or sometimes by a driver (and as with PC issues sometimes it is so far out in left field you never see it coming :D).

Anyway, try the following standard diagnostic steps:

A. Run Memtest on your RAM.

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. (You might have to place your drive as first bootable in your BIOS) The test will take over.

4. Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

5. If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

6. Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

B. Since these only occur while playing games then do the following:

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro (free version) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro. If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

C. Check your video card/system temperatures and fans. Gaming puts a load on the system especially the video card and raises the temperature. Heat that is beyond specified parameters.will shut a system down quickly.

*** Get back to us with the results.

Windows should be able to burn it for you. When you download unzip and place a CD in your drive. Then double click the ISO file.

Do you have a floppy drive? You can run it that way.

This takes a LONG time but well worth it. Start it now, let it run while you sleep (perfectly safe), and check it in the morning.

i cant get this to wrok

i took the 2 files out of the folder named Boots and put them on a CD. Was i sposed to put the folder in there and not take the files out?

and how do i boot it from cd? ive tried hitting f12 f10 f8 and i cant find boot from cd. thanks!

Why did you take two files out? What files are we talking about? Are you talining about what comes in the Zip file? Are you saying the ISO file didn't burn to the CD? Once you unpack it there should be a Memtest ISO file. Double click that with a CD in your drive to burn.

This test is very simple. Place the CD in the drive, reboot, and it will take over.

ya i just burnt the file on 2 different cds to see if i messed the first one up, i just cant get it to work. hmmmmm

Just for clarification, you did download the latest Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip), correct?

Do you have any CD Burning software?

running the memtest right now on one of my sticks. so far 3 passes with 0 errors. I'm on my laptop for the time being

running the memtest right now on one of my sticks. so far 3 passes with 0 errors. I'm on my laptop for the time being

Excellent! Glad for you. :grinthumb Remember, run for a minimum of 7 Passes. You may want to run this overnight and check it in the morning. it certainly won't hurt to do so. If you get no errors then that is great because most problems are hardware related and corrupted memory is a major player.

I suggest keeping your CD with Memtest. It is a handy utility to have.

If you get no errors then try step B that I posted.

* I'll check in the morning to see your results. Good luck.

i did option B before that because it was easier to do, got it completed. Wonder what I should do if both tests come up positive? then what could be the problem

Well if you've got errors in Memtest do step 6. You can only replace corrupted memory; not fix it. Memory, for the most part is cheap. Just make sure the RAM matches. It isn't hard to replace it.

The only way you'll know if it was your video card drivers causing the problem is the next time you try to game.

* Let us know the results.

so i did everything, let the memtest run on my 2nd stick overnight 48 times and 0 errors. Went to play my game, and it did it within 5 mins of playing. Switched the sticks of RAM into different ports and no fix.

so, out of ideas?

I want you post your five most recent minidumps.

How to find your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

One 0x8E error which as I noted earlier are almost always caused by hardware issues. And one 0xA error and these are also strong indicators of hardware issues or drivers attempting a higher IRQ Level that they shouldn't. In these instances they only cited Windows drivers which isn't much help.

Another error is 0x7E and it cited the Windows driver usbccgp.sys which is a USB common class generic parent driver. According to the dump this driver was attempting an illegal instruction resulting in your crash.

It is the last two errors that hold the most promise. Both are 0x8E errors and both cite dadder.sys which is a Razer USB Mouse Optical Driver.

* The conflict may, I said may, be between the Windows driver and your mouse driver. Regardless, the Razer driver was specifically cited. You can do one of two things: a) uninstall and reinstall the drivers that came with the installation disk or b) uninstall all things Razer and update to new Razer drivers for your mouse.

* Get back to us with the results.

uninstalled the razer drivers, had a bsod after about 15 mins of gameplay this time.

got a 0X0000007E error or something along the lines of that

Here is a description of this error as per auhma.org: 0x7E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues.

Go to your Run box in your start Menu and type in EventVwr.msc. I want you to tell us if you have any Red Xs and then slide right and under the Source column tell us what it says..

Second, did you uninstall and then reinstall the drivers that came with your mouse or did you upgrade?

Third, attach the minidump with your last dump. If its just one or two you don't need to Zip.

ok under system i have red xes on the following:

system control manager
aarich
DCOM

those are the only red Xes throughout the entire directory

and I didnt reinstall the mouse drivers cause i just dont want to have them anymore

aarich.sys is a driver for Adaptec HostRAID for SATA drives. Are you running a RAID system?

DCOM means Distributed Component Object Model, a Microsoft proprietary technology for software components distributed across several networked computers to communicate with each other.

Are getting these errors while gaming as solo play or online and/or LAN parties?

What drivers are you using for your mouse?

Attach your latest minidump.

1. We want to make sure all Razer drivers are uninstalled. Go to MajorGeeks.com and download RegCleaner. After you've installed it go to the Uninstall Tab and look for anything that says Razer. If you find anything pertaining to this mouse ONLY unistall them and nothing else. Working with the registry can be tricky.

If you don't find anything fine.

2. Then go to your Search function in your Start Menu. Under the files and folders option type in Razer and allow it to search. Did it find anything?

3. Got to Start->Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager and see if you have any yellow or red flags indicative of a bad driver. Let us know if the Device Manager has yellow or red flags.

4. Your error is another 0x7E and it again cites usbccgp.sys. You may need to do a Windows Repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back