Random freezes/no sound/cannot shutdown

So last night I was messing around with setting up my mic (blue yeti) and while testing some audio clips the sound just went out. I tried to force close VLC player but that did not do anything. I thought a restart was needed so I went to restart the computer and a message popped up saying "host task" or something like that. I really didn't get a chance to see it but briefly. Windows was stcuk at the shutdown screen until I manually shut it off. So I turned it back on and now there are random freezes/ flash player crashing on every web page, no sound, programs not opening or not closing. I ran Malwarebytes and CCleaner as well as my antivirus and they all came out clean. Checked the logs and tons or errors from printer errors to window errors. I have since reinstalled windows and am in the process of restoring everything back.
My question is, what in the world was this. I have never had something this bad to where I couldn't even shut the computer down on it's own. Any help would be much appreciated. I would like to prevent this from ever happening again.
Thanks

Terry

Back